+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under-wader pants

Default Under-wader pants

I'm looking for a pant that can be worn under waders during the warmer months (and still be effective standing in cold water)

I don't care if it's lightweight fleece or any other synthetic fiber as long as it would be effective with breathable waders.

(By pant, I mean something that is not compression fit - something you could wear into a store or cafe for example. Color is not important - but it must have a left rear pocket and either belt loops or integrated belt - not a drawstring).

I have a pair for colder weather that I picked up at Cabelas and love - but they will be too warm when the temps get above 80.

Any recommendations?

Lansford PA. Not far from the Lehigh River

Default Re: Under-wader pants

Quote Originally Posted by MNFisher
    I'm looking for a pant that can be worn under waders during the warmer months (and still be effective standing in cold water)

I don't care if it's lightweight fleece or any other synthetic fiber as long as it would be effective with breathable waders.

(By pant, I mean something that is not compression fit - something you could wear into a store or cafe for example. Color is not important - but it must have a left rear pocket and either belt loops or integrated belt - not a drawstring).

I have a pair for colder weather that I picked up at Cabelas and love - but they will be too warm when the temps get above 80.

Any recommendations?

I believe Patagonia makes these in different ''weights''. Good Luck.

Normand Guest

I bought a Cabelas light weight washable pant, and then liked it so much I got five. They are great, I wear all the time. I think they are in the flats wear section, around $29.95. They are perfect for under waders in warm weather, and look good enough to wear out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Great suggestions above. I, however, use the inappropriately called, for this use, "warm up" pants available at any sporting goods store. They usually have some sort of colored stripe down the sides and make you look like a real "jock" when worn alone. The ladies will be impressed.

Mark

PS: Almost forgot. I also use long or tube socks to tuck the pant legs into to prevent them from riding up when putting on waders.

Walmart sweatpants. OK so maybe you will not go to dinner in the fancy restaurant...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I like the Reddington (a sponser here) Topwater pants. They normally sell for $38.00, but the Rogue Fly Shop (http://www.rogueflyshop.com/Fly+Fishing) has them for $27.95. They're comfortable, look good, and are ideal under a pair of breathable waders.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Like Grizz, I wear Redington pants but prefer the Versi-pants. They're essentially the same pants, but with the zip off legs, so you can wear them as shorts when it gets really warm, or want to wet wade. I also bought them from TCO fly shop (an FAOL sponsor) and got them on sale for $20 ! Having lost 50 lbs in the past 6 months, I needed to revamp my wardrobe, and really stocked up at TCO's Redington sale. Too bad the sale didn't last long - I could use a few more of those Redington shirts and pants. They're incredibly comfortable when its warm outside, but don't provide any insulation against the cold. They're UPF 30+ rated, so you don't need sunscreen either.

Patagonia Capilene was leader in good lightweight unders, but many other outdoor makers now have highly competitive synthetic products in a variety of weights. Silkweight is what you want for hot weather.

I don't like the look around the feet thing on some wading undergarments. IMO, you can buy some with elastic at the bottom and tuck them in your sock and be more comfortable. REI makes good private label stuff on the cheap. These silk bottoms are entirely adequate for me:

http://www.rei.com/online/Search.do?vca ... r&x=23&y=8

If you want to spend the time looking for a bargain, REI has an outet, there is Campmor, and Sierra Trading Post.

This is actually the best time of year to buy thermal underwear.

http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/stoney ... -2361.html

all the rage here in nz. great product, tough wearing, and they do what the sales blurb say.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread