+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader Suggestions For Backpacking

Default Wader Suggestions For Backpacking

I'm going backpacking over the summer in MT. I was planning on wet wading, but started to consider getting something for traveling. I don't want to haul my simms around because they are thick and heavy. I also can't seem to find the total weight of a pair of waders on any of the usual suspects web sites (cabelas, basspro, etc) . Anyone have any good suggestions for extremely light weight/compact waders which are also less than 100 bucks. The only thing that looks remotely suited for something like this is the simms travel waders....which at 119 is a little high for something that I may only use a few times.

Default Re: Wader Suggestions For Backpacking

Boy ... back packing and having to tote waders, too, sounds like a humungus chore!
    Since my military days of long, long ago ... where they discovered what a hidden genius I really was and assigned me to an infantry rifle company, I've decided, for the most part, that my back-packing days for this life time are over! Oh, I do pack a pack to canoe downriver on an over night trip; and, maybe a day trip, but for any serious distance ... No Way.
    There is one place where a couple of buddies have talked me into an over-night trip over a ridge to the headwaters of a river, but do we ever pack light. And in that case I was a wet wader... shorts and old sneakers!

Since your talking summer time, may I ask, what's wrong with the wet wading?

(Inquiring minds want to know!)

Dale

I could end up in high altitudes where it may be a bit cold. I mean all in all, if I can't find something that suits I will wet wade or rock hop. If I can pick something lightweight up for fifty bones that fits in a little sack though, why not have it just in case. I'm sort of just evaluating my options at this point. I am also planning on getting a better idea closer to the trip when I can accurately predict water temperatures.

How about the bottoms of a wet suit (along with the "booties") ... bet some pawn shop would have a wet suit.

We hiked into some remote streams in Mt last year. I took my orvis goore tex waders and boots. I swear I'll never do that again. Next time it's a pair if caabelas hippers and the Orvis travel boots or an old pair of Converse Chucks with felt glued on.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

I would get the lightest pair of hip waders I could find. You will find that in the Rocky Mountain West in the summertime, hip boots are are you need and usually all you'll want in the afternoons.

How cold is cold?

I officially started my wet wading season yesterday in a 56 degree mountain stream in the Poconos. I HATE waders and next year I think I'm going to shed them at the end of April.

If the type of water you'll be fishing is smaller with more rock hopping than wading; you may not get as cold as you think.

I think light = expensive unless you can find an old pair of the Red Ball coated nylon jobs which are HOT as heck but VERY lightweight and cheap.

I'm not sure how cold it will actually be. It may not be that bad, and it might not be too much of a concern. I have a vascular problem which translates to terrible circulation in my feet and hands, so I have a much lower tolerance for cold feet than most. I'm going to be in MT near Kalispell...not sure what river specifically yet. I'm figuring better safe than sorry at this point. If I can find them light enough it won't really even be a decision - I will just bring them and use if necessary. If I can't find them cheap and light, then I'll suck it up.

While I don't have an answer to your question, I will add that chances are you can catch whatever you need to eat on your trip without getting wet. As an avid back packer, I've done both. In fact there was a trip in the Boulder Mountains in South-Central Utah that I packed my waders, boots, fins and float tube. NOT WORTH IT! I've spent a good deal of time fishing in the Uintah mountains (N.E Utah) where it's always cold with a pair shorts and my Chacos. WORTH IT! Once you get past the first 5 minutes of standing in water that cold, the rest is easy.
    How far is the trip and how long will you be trailside? What type of elevation gain are you looking at for the over-all trip? These could be determining factors too.
    Leave No Trace

Hi,
    I've done quite a few backpacking trips around here where wet wadings is not an option and even haul my float tube each year (a Woodriver Swiftrider at 4lb 5oz is not too bad if you go for serious lightweight camp gear). As for waders, the cheap RED BALL coated nylon are quite light and I found them quite durable but they are hard to find. Anyway from my gear list (I count every oz. that go in my backpack) I could say that the hipper (Small) weight 8 oz. and the full waders 14 oz. Add to that a pair of neoprene socks (4 oz.) as the foot is the same material as the upper. With the sock your could wear a pair of sandal over and not worried about putting a hole in the foot area of the waders as the socks take the beating and you could wear the sandal around camp. That was my set up for years and I was quite satisfied. I still use them but since I couldn't find backup, I pick up some Simm's Travel waders when they got discontinued last year (paid 89$). They're 16 oz. and I add a pair of neoprene socks for the same reason listed above. For now they are great but I don't know about durability... About the same time I bought some Simm's hippers (also discountinued, around 50$) They are great (even bought another pair just a few month later) but at 20 oz a little heavy for backpacking and since they come with neoprene stockingfoot that leave the sandal option out and make them a little bulky. But I think Orvis made a Travel boot that is quite light. That I should investigate... Anyway, that is the best set up I could find at this time. Backpacking with a fly rod is great but you have to do your homework... Go lightweight in all aspect without compromise security.

+ Reply to Thread