+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap equipment

Default Cheap equipment

Hello all,

I have wanted to get into flyfishing for a few years and I finally started this season. Money is an issue, so I got an ultra-cheap Shakespeare combo from Walmart. $20.00 for rod, reel, line and some flies. Other than several trees and bushes, I have not caught anything yet.

My question is what limitations is my equipment putting on me if any? What differences would I notice if I had a $100-$200 entry level combo?

I fish primarily small streams in wooded areas, so I don't have much space for long casts.

Glad to finally being on the forum, and I look forward to soaking up as much knowledge about the sport as I can. Thanks.

JM

Default Re: Cheap equipment

Welcome to the forum and the world of fly fishing. Although better equipment would feel better. I don't think it's keeping you from catching fish.

I would suggest you go to the main page of this forum, and read Fly Fishing Basics. There's a lot to learn, and i'm sure it will help you get that first fish. Good luck.

Highlander, let me be the first (ok second, thanks gramps!) to say "Welcome!" both to the site and this incredibly addicting way of life. This is a question that most, if not every new fly angler asks, so you're in good company. Here is my opinion. The fish probably don't care if you cast a $20 Shakespeare of $2,500 cane rod. The same goes for the reel. I spent my first 2 years on probably the exact same set up (but mine was from Kmart--didn't have a walmart back then). If you've never spent a good deal of time casting a really nice rod or fighting fish with a really nice reel, then a $300 combo would have unnoticeable differences to you.
    What I think may make some difference is the line you're using. Many times, fly line really determines how well you cast with a certain set up and, in some cases, could make or break your presentation.
    I'd also suggest going to a local fly shop for the right flies, maybe some casting assistance (believe me, you'll need this even when you've been trying for 10 years) and techniques on how to present the flies you're fishing-along with where on the stream to present them.
    The two best pieces of advice I can give are these: 1) Go fishing with someone who knows the answers to the questions you'll have. It doesn't have to be a guide (I've never, ever paid for a guide service). Give your location here and I guarentee someone will offer to take you fishing.
    2)Fish, fish and fish some more. No amount of research, instruction or guidance can amount to time spent learning first hand. I've learned more from being on the water and observing things than in any other place. You can be taught what you need to know, but nature will teach it to you in a way you can understand.

Welcome and good luck!!
    Leave No Trace

I think there's some merit for starting out with some inexpensive equipment. You get some basics down pat and then have an appreciation for the equipment and your skills. I've seen some guys start out on the expensive side and then lose interest for whatever reasons and the equipment goes into storage in some dark closet to be all but forgotten. I know one guy who tried fly fishing (after seeing the "movie") and found out he just did not have the patience or the desire to learn the art - his deal was "are they biting", if not let's go do something else!

I think starting out the way you are will give an appreciation later on for better gear.

Dale

Blog Entries

Most of the guys I fish with now started out with the exact same combo that you did. The ones that decided to step up got Batson Forecast RX6 rods built for them by me. The rods were all under $75 and every one of them noticed a difference in casting. I think the budget setups are fine to start with, but if you decide to keep up with the sport, an upgrade in the rod and the line should be your first 2. I'd personally start with the line first. If I remember correctly, the line that came with those combos was a level line, and not a pleasant thing to cast. Most if not all WF or DT lines will be an improvement.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Hi Highlanderx357,

You're fishing relatively small streams, so you probably don't need to cast all that far. Most likely, the rod and line combination you already have is capable of being cast quite a bit farther anyway, so as you practice you will continue to improve. You've mentioned that money is an issue, so I would suggest focus on the flies. I've never seen a fish jump out of the water to bite a rod, no matter how expensive, but I have seen fish bite flies.

Seriously though, go to a local fishing shop where the people know a bit about fly fishing. Get yourself a few flies. I would recommend getting two size 14 soft-hackle patterns (one dark brown or black and the other a lighter colour, yellow or orange), and two size 12 winged wet flies (a royal coachman and a Greenwell's glory are generally good anywhere, but the shop will know what's best in your area). Four flies won't set you back much, and these should be better than the ones that came in the rod combo. (I've suggested these sizes and flies because these have worked for me a lot; again, advice from your local shop should be taken in preference).

The reason I suggest wet flies is that they can be fished fairly easily and so I tend to suggest them to anyone new to fly fishing (for moving water especially). All you need to do is find a section of the river where there is a fast riffly run that ends in a pool. Stand above the top of the riffles, pull line from the reel and and hold it in your left hand. You should be holding a fair amount. Now cast towards the other bank such that you still have some line in your left hand. If you've cast all your line, either the stream is quite large, or you don't have enough line in your hand so pull more out. Next, let the line drift down stream in the current, letting out line as needed to prevent "tightening up" on the fly while also not letting slack form either. You want to be able to tell if a fish takes your fly as it drifts down the current. When you've let all the line out from your hand, the line tightens up and fly will swing from the far side back to your side, let it as you often get hits on the swing. Then, let it hang there for a few seconds in case a fish is still deciding whether or not to take the fly. If nothing happens, start to retrieve line into your left hand (don't reel it in, just neatly retrive it by knitting it into your palm; a figure 8 retrieve it's called). You may get hits on the retrieve, so be ready still. Then, do it all again. If you don't get a hit after two drifts, take one step down stream and repeat the whole process. This will chance the dift a tiny bit, and let you fish a new part of the riffle further down (and eventually you'll fish over and through the pool too).

This method (down and across) is a simple and effective technique. You will learn how much line to control, how to cast and how to read the drift (predict where your flies will drift in the current), and when the fish will be found in the riffles and when in the pool (or both). Fishing down stream lets you fish "long" without having to cast a heroic distance.

Now, that being said, the absolute best thing you can do is to get someone to take you fishing and show you what works best in your streams. Also, you will eventually want to learn how to fish "up stream" with dry flies and nymphs.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Welcome!

All good advise above and I will reiterate the importance of having a good fly line and flys.

No matter how good your equipment is, if your fishing with a badly tied fly, you won't catch many fish. It's also very important with dry flys to have a good presentation and that's where a good fly line will help you.

Would you catch more fish with an expensive set-up - probably, but most of us started out with very inexpensive rods and reels and learned to catch fish with them before moving up.

Good Luck!

Scott

Highlander,

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us. The guys who posted to your thread really know their stuff and have given good advice. As your own casting ability continues to improve, you may want to consider getting another, more high end line for your rod. That will help your learning curve.

Before I forget, new guys chop wood for the fire and supply the coffee and donuts for the group. We don't like thosse cheapo donuts is the box either, those nice fresh bakery donuts work best around here.

Keep us posted on the fishing and casting.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I'll take some glazed. Thanks.

Welcome aboard - I like my coffee strong.

You might want to put your location in your profile. Quite often someone nearby invite people to fish with them. If we don't know where you live (general location is sufficient).... we can't do that.

jed

+ Reply to Thread