+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origin of the Scraggly?

Default Origin of the Scraggly?

Can anyone help me confirm the origins of a wet fly known as the Scraggly?

-- Body: peacock herl, and grizzly hackle palmered and clipped short
    -- Ribbing: gold wire
    -- Hackle: hen furnace

I have found only one source which credits Russ Ryder as the pattern originator. Anyone know anything else about this pattern?

-pkb

Default Re: Origin of the Scraggly?

I remember an article in Fly Fisherman about the Scraggly. Late '80s maybe?
    It was created by Russ Ryder to fish in the Housatonic or maybe the Farmington
    I believe it was palmered with starling, not grizzly hackle and only clipped short on one side
    Making it... scraggly

I may be wrong... I often am
    When I have a chance I'll see if I can find the article
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

That sounds like a cool fly. Do you tie them and if so do you have a picture? I'd love to see it, and maybe tie a few.

Cheers,

-RC

RC,

Yeah, it does look like a fish getter. Though I'm neither the tier nor the originator.

I'm simply the web guy posting the pattern on our TU chapter site. Here's the link:

http://www.tuswvt.org/Fly_Tyers_Corner.shtml

The pattern as shown here is tied by Paul Buccheri, of Rutland, VT, and you can find the link to his site at the above URL.

Enjoy!

-pkb

Found it, I was wrong about the starling
    The article is called Perfect Peacock Patterns by Steve Tofani, Fly Fisherman, Dec.'91.
    --Hook; Mustad#38941 or #9672 sizes #6 to #18
    --Thread: Black
    --Body; Peacock herl with palmered, clipped grizzly hackle.
    --Hackle: Hen furnace hackle; one side barbules are trimmed down to 3/16 inch
    In the article there are other flys by Russ Ryder. The Ryder Midge, the Ryder Caddis, and a Ryder Caddis II
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks Dudley!

Now all I need to do is dig up a copy of the article and I'll be golden.

Too bad FF doesn't archive back issues or articles and make them available online....

Thanks again!

-pkb

It was Russ Ryder who developed the pattern for CT river FF, He passed many years ago.

The fly was sold commercially by one or two fly shops in CT and was a popular nymph for local FF.

The pattern posted is correct, Steve Tofani was a friend of RR and wrote articles on FF in the 1970's & 80's.

Regards,
    FK

Thank you for the clarification FK & Dudley.

-pkb

9. Default Re: Origin of the Scraggly?

I have been tying and using my version of Russ Ryder?s Scraggly Nymph since I first met him in 1975. I taught English at John F. Kennedy Jr. High School in Southington, CT. His daughter taught girl?s gym there, and the door to the gym was next to my classroom. She found out that I was a fly fisherman and told me about her father. We first met at a small fly and tackle shop on Union Street in Bristol, CT called S&M Fly Tying Materials. The Shop was owned by two great Connecticut fly fisherman, Walt Stockman and Charley Malley (S&M). The shop was about the size of a large closet and jammed full of rods, waders and fishing gear, but all of the best Ct fly tiers/fisherman came there to swap patterns and information. You could learn more about Ct fly fishing and streams in one evening there than you could on the water in a year. Charley and Walt had both retired from Bristol Brass. They created the S&M Bobbin which is the best bobbin I have ever used.

I use the Scraggly Nymph from April through June for trout, and have used it for stocked salmon in the Naugatuck River starting in October. As far as I am concerned, it is the best all around trout nymph ever created. I have given it to friends who use it trolling with lead-core lines for lake trout. I catch rainbows, browns, brookies and, when they were stocked in CT, golden rainbows. My largest fish (hanging on my office wall) was an 8 pound 24? rainbow caught with a Scraggly nymph on a 4 pound test leader and tippet. When Russ heard about this fish, he asked if I would please bring the mounted fish over to his apartment so he could see it. He approved of my changes to his basic pattern and was most appreciative that I came to see him. This was not long before he died.

I fish the nymph on a 7.5? 4lb test leader on a 5wt Cortland 444, 10' sink-tip line. I use the 4lb test, because the fish hit this nymph particularly hard and it is often lodged well inside the mouth. I cast across stream and let the nymph swing in the current (medium to fast). I use a short jerky retrieve just before the line straightens out, and that is when they most often hit as the fly is rising You will often need hemostats or pliers to remove the fly.

Here is my pattern, which is really just a simplified version of Russ Ryder?s original. I always add lead wire for weight.

Hook: Mustad 9672, size 8 or 10 (4 and 6 for salmon)
    Body: Bronze peacock herl, palmered with grizzly saddle hackle which is clipped short and then counter-wound with medium gold wire
    Collar: Brown partridge, stripped on one side and then tied in by the tip
    Head: Black
    Thread: Black 6/0
    Weight: Medium lead wire.

It may be that this fly somewhat imitates an emerging caddis, which is why the trout take it so hard and fast, but I just think that it is an all-around buggy fly.

I was on the Farmington River on Friday (5/11/2007) and caught over 12 rainbows and browns ranging from 12? to 16? from the same run on this fly.

If you would like more information on this fly, including a sample (will swap for one of your favorite if you tie), just email me at dickhemenway@netscape.net.

I will also supply a picture of the fly and the S&M Bobbin as I apparently cannot upload images.

Dick,

Great post, thanks for the details. I remember visiting the S&M Fly shop years ago,,,we would stop in the local Bristol Farm Shop for coffee before heading home,,,,all of the waitresses would state to us "you must have been in the fly shop"?,,,,,I took a while to understand how they figured that so well,,,,,we smelled like moth balls when we sat down in the coffee shop.

Regards,
    FK

+ Reply to Thread