+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for a rod for my Dad

Default Advice for a rod for my Dad

Dad is taking up fly fishing. He's 80 and has injuries to both shoulders. He has taken casting lessons and can cast fairly well. BUT - I'm looking for advice from folks with shoulder problems.

He wants a rod for father's day and I'm torn between a 8' 5wt and a 9' 6wt. He lives in South Texas and has plenty of freshwater to chase lmb and panfish. However, he also likes to get on the salt on occasion.

My question to those with shoulder problems, which would you tend to purchase, the 5 or the 6 based on an afternoon of casting and fishing. Personally, I think the 5 is the way to go, but I know he also wants to get in the bay and chase light saltwater fish.

Ideas, suggestions?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Default Re: Advice for a rod for my Dad

There isn't a lot of difference between a 5 and a 6 wgt, until you stsart casting them with shoulder problems. Just my opinion heree, but the 8 foot 5 wgt seems to be more shoulder friendly. Anything over a 6 wgt and I'm good for maybe an hours fishing. That's the main reason I went to two handed rods for heavier weight lines. With a two hander I can cast a 9 wgt all day.

There, that didn't help much did it.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

In cabelas bargain cave online you will find a st croix 8' 5 weight 4 pc rod for $55.

I think that would be the perfect rod for him and especially so at that price, for someone just getting into fly fishing.

Good luck

I have a bad shoulder and the lighter the rod the better. The problem with fishing salt water is wind. He might be better to stick with fresh water. He should learn to double haul too so he's not trying too hard with his shoulder.

Unless you are trying for extreme distance, your shoulder doesn't get worked all that hard. There is very little difference between a 5 and 6 wt. set up for what you are addressing. Since your dad is new, just discourage him from situations where he has to make many long casts. This would especially apply to stiuations like guided trips in an AuSable long boat where he would have to make many many casts from a sitting position at odd angles. You should also discourage salt fishing snook or reds from a boat where 60-90 foot casts are required all day long. But beach fishing snook doesn't require long casts because you are casting back into the surf. That should be okay.

Encourage a nice relaxed experience in small rivers or creeks where casts are 20-30 feet. I have had spinal fusion which effects my backcast and limits my endurance on salt. But a little 5 or 4 or 3 wt on a little Michigan stream, I can fish all day. Your dad should not have a lot of trouble doing that. But stay away from heavy stuff like 8 and 9 weight or better saltwater equipment.

Bobinmich

Having had shoulder surgery I know of where I speak (for me anyway). The lighter the rod the better. Look at the number of ounces it weights. Get a light weight reel too.

This won't work well with the salt. I would suggest he wait for saltwater fishing until he gets to a place where his casting is smooth enough so he won't reinjure himself. That won't take too long, but a good casting form will help prevent future injuries.

jed

+ Reply to Thread