+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pics of a fly.

Default pics of a fly.

Hi all,
    This is a fly that i tied last night. Im not quite sure if this is going to work or not so bear with me please. The fly is a thunder and lightening varriant.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230 ... s20031.jpg

Im really sory for the quality of the pic .Im not sure about how to take them any advice would be appreicated. thabks.

Default Re: pics of a fly.

it looks nice

Salmon Man,

Nice fly. Not sure of your camera, but check the manual for the "Macro" feature. See how close you can focus with the macro feature turned on, and do some experimenting. There have been a couple of other threads about taking fly pictures you might check out, plus Al Campbell did a great series of articles on fly photography. That should be in the Features section of this site.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi Salmon Man,

Fly looks good. As REE suggests, if your camera has a dial on it with a bunch of pictures, turn it to the setting with the flower (like a tulip). That's for taking close up pictures. Frame the shot, zoom in on the fly and measure a distance from the fly to the back of your digital camera The back is "best" because once you know the right distance, you can measure it off and just place the camera there easily (put the back to the line). Anyway, hold down the button half way to focus, and find a spot that is out of focus and "too close", then snap a picture. Move the camera back by 1 cm (or 1/2 an inch) and take another photo. Do a series like this and keep track of the distance for each photo. Then, when you unload your camera shots, you can map out the distance that works best. For example, my camera is best when the back of the camer is 43 cm from the fly. Once you've got that distance down, you'll find it never fails to produce an "in focus" shot.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Man
    Hi all,
    This is a fly that i tied last night. Im not quite sure if this is going to work or not so bear with me please. The fly is a thunder and lightening varriant.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230 ... s20031.jpg

Im really sory for the quality of the pic .Im not sure about how to take them any advice would be appreicated. thabks.
    It is a nice looking fly. Here are two tips that will bring you home in showing it at its best.

I have the best luck not using the macro feature. I learned from using my 35mm SLR years ago that I could get great closeup pictures using the zoom with a telephoto lens. I setup, hand held, about 3 feet away from the fly and use the telephoto zoom on my Canon to produce the closeup. It worked before the cameras had the tulip and it still works unless the target is extremely tiny. KISS

Next use "[img]your picture[/img]" so that the pic displays automatically, and so that we do not have to click to see it. Like this:

look at this message in quote mode to see what I am doing.

Keep at it. You are close.

Mike
    Bear742

Bear,

A lot of folks use the links to photos to keep from using so much bandwidth on the site. A resize of the photo would also help with the need to scroll to see the whole photo.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Salmon Man,

I don't know if the old threads are still available via a search in the archives, but there have been some
    fine ideas and hints posted on this site for improving fly pics.

I'm not particularly talented in the photography department by any means, but have a couple thoughts in addition to those stated.

You might consider photographing your fly upright, with the backdrop at least several inches behind the fly.
    That should help focus attention on the fly and reduce the shadows somewhat.

To further help with shadows, you might consider using additional sources of light to fill or eliminate those shadows.

I think I can see the deviations from the traditional T&L patterns. Nice job. Is there any background on this
    particular variant that you can share?

Salmon Man,

The fly looks well tied. Thanks for sharing.

As to how to improve on the fly image, it would be helpful if you could provide some information on your camera make&model, and whether you applied specific settings for taking this shot.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hey all,
    Im going to try agin in downsized the pic and took some more usiong your sugestions so lets try agin..

Well that didn't work le me try agin..
    [img]

Neither did that mabey i need some help.

Salmon Man,

Much better already

Cheers,
    Hans
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

+ Reply to Thread