+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No good turn goes unpunished.

Default No good turn goes unpunished.

The son of a family friend is going to Missoula Mt. with a school group this summer. They will be fishing the Rock Creek area, and because I am a moron I asked if there was anything I could do? I got the fly list and started tying. Some real basic Elk Hair caddis, Parachute Adams, PMD's, Yellow Sallys, Etc. I tied the 16, 18, and 20's until my eyes crossed, and I'm now tying the fun stuff. Stonefly in size 2,4, Salmonfly in 1/0,2,and Stimulators in 2,4. Are these sizes correct? I've never tied a Stimulator larger than an 8. Please advise. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Default Re: No good turn goes unpunished.

Salmonflies can be up to 2 inches long. I don't tie any trout flies bigger than a 4. If it needs to be bigger I'd use a longer shanked hook or tie an extended body. That's my $.02.

Coach,

Though I can't vouch for its accuracy, I'd say this hatch chart is fairly representative of several I've seen.
    http://www.flyshack.com/HatchChart.aspx?RiverID=1512

I agree with Jayatwork. For salmonflies, I'd personally go with a longer shanked hook in the more trout friendly sizes of 4 & 6. IMHO, the large gap of a 1/0 hook is just too wicked for the smaller guys that will likely be feeding on top.

By "stonefly" are you speaking of golden stones? If so, I think your size choices are a bit large for most waters.

Stimulators are great flies, and I'm sure your friend's son would appreciate having a few in 8, 10, 12. But for large attractors and salmonfly imitations, there are other alternatives that provide a better combination of bulk and durability. Of course, the Sofa Pillow was once the favored salmonfly dry, so what do I know?

Very nice of you to offer your tying services.

The Stonefly that I have tied is the bullethead Golden Stonefly with a Yellow foam strike indicator and legs. I had the darndest time matching the body color and eventually settled on a blend of gold and olive that I blened my self. This project has really been a challenge for me and has really forced me to tackle some techniques and sizes I'm not comfortable tying. At last count I'm giving Taylor A fly box with PMD's, Parachute Adams,Elk Hair Caddis,Yellow Sally's,Stimulators, Golden Stonefly's,Salmonfly's,Bitch Creek nymphs, Montana Stones, Wooly Buggers, And then I tied some that I'm partial to using in Wisconsin. Hi vis foam beetles, Fur Ants, wooly worms,PT Nymphs, Killer Caddis, and Pink Squirrels.

Maybe add some SJ worms and Chernobyls? BTW, when is the trip? Only asking because the Salmonfly hatch usually happens mid-June.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

i'm from around there, i like to use midges size 20, they really work. try the f-100. Also, bwo cripples have great success. try stimmys in size 8. para adams work great. tell them to go over to grizzely hackle, and buy a couple flies, or, they will probobally reacomend a fly, so tell the kids to bring a bunch of flytying material. if you need to buy materials for the flies, try the kingfisher, or the missula angler place. i will probobally be there sometime this summer, and i will be at one of my favorite spots. i will pm you the place.

JZ

Fished there with two of my sons a few years ago. They caught on Prince nymphs I'd tied. Lottsa fish. I blanked! Couple days of fishless glory! The whole trip was wonderful. Beautiful country!!!

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

I also dont tie stims larger than an 8. A size 4 or larger seems a bit large for me, but they will work. For salmonflies, maybe go to a size six...for the goldenstones I would use an 8. I frequently fish a size or smaller when it comes to the bigger stoneflies anyways. Just my opinion.
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread