+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tellico Dry Fly .....

Default Tellico Dry Fly .....

A fellow was telling me the other day he fished a Tellico Dry with some success. I've searched the archives but came up emtpy. Anyone heard of this particular dry fly pattern? If so, would you mind sharing the recipe with me? Thanks.

Greg

Default Re: Tellico Dry Fly .....

Greg, I just got off the phone with my local shop and the only Tellico they have heard of is the Tellico Nymph. But I will continue to search. I do have the recipe and pics of the Nymph. I also have a few I can send you if you would like. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Is this what your looking for???

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/im ... ellico.jpg

http://www.danica.com/Flytier/zhorvath/tellico.htm

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_ty ... 0nymph.htm

Personally... I think if you wanted a dry fly with this.. Just add a dry collar and use a dry fly hook...

Tennessee fisherman here. The Tellico is named after the Tellico river here. The only Tellico I know is the nymph. The ones I use look like the second picture above. It seems to work all over Tn.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

The third example, from the Buckeye Fly Fishers, looks like more like the one that I first saw. There is another nymph that used to be quite popular.

Hook: varied. Now I would probably use a 1x long, heavy wire hook like a Mustad 3906b.
    Tail: Brown hackle barbs 1/2 as long to as long as the body.
    Body (Abdomen): All peacock herl, tapered.
    Weight: optional
    Thorax: Short, brown hackle. We often tied it with dry fly hackle. Sometimes it was tied over bare thread, sometimes over herl, sometimes over yellow floss.
    Wingcase: We varied the feather barbs. Sometimes we used quill, sometimes we used pheasant or turkey.

I tied these back when I was in college, as did everybody in our little fly-tyers group. Since we often had only 2 or 3 boxes of hooks (poor college students), quite a few of mine were tied on dry fly hooks (Mustad 94840s).

I can't help but wonder if the initial reference to a dry was really to a Yellow Sally (Yella Sally, Yeller Sally) or a Thunderhead.

Ed

Blog Entries

...and then I find this thread

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com ... hp?t=17811

Ed

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I've fished the nymph for about 5 years and I have plenty of them. I don't know if this fly exists or not, but from what I've gathered here and elsewhere no one has a definitive pattern. I tied up something last night that I think I'll give a try. I used golden pheasant tips for the tail, yellow floss body, peacock ribbing, CDC tied in trude style, and brown hackle behind the hook eye. In retrospect, I should have tied in a small diameter gold wire to wrap over the body on top of the peacock ribbing because that'll be the first to go after I catch a few.

THanks for the replies everyone.

Normand Guest

Maybe its not really a dry fly he is talking about but maybe how the fly is fished, as a dry fly???

A method of fishing a fly.

Like a floating nymph.

+ Reply to Thread