+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fishing undercut banks

Default fishing undercut banks

I just started winter fishing, and last week all the brookies were in the undercut banks in the small creek I fish in PA. I got a couple of rises on black midges, but the fish were to inactive. How do I get the fish under the banks when they won't move much for a nymph?

You have got to fish very slowly for winter trout. Their metabolisms are very slow. The nymph is the only way to go, a weighted nymph with additional split shot on the leader. The fly/leader/line should be just creeping along, slower than the current. Sometimes much slower. Inching along if you will. It takes some time for the trout to decide to strike because of the slowed down metabolism and if the nymph is moving too fast by the time the trout swings into action the nymph is 3 or 4 feet past him. That isn't good.

You've got to work on your 'casting' to get that nymph back in or as near the undercut bank as you can. A little practice and you will get the feel.

Oldcoon sats it well, it is tricky even in summer, but can be very productive if you have the patients.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

A streamer drifted down into the undercut from an upstream position. No problem!

Here is a little trick for you to try.

Tie on your nymph "OR" nymph's as noraml. Next place an indicator above the nymph OR nymphs at a height that will not let them quit hit bottom against the undercut bank. You can eye this and just try and get close.
    Now make a cast to the upper end of the back getting the flies as close as you can. When the cast is down on the water throw an upstream mend in your line so the indicator is thrown in toward the bank. This will be easy if you pratice just a bit. When you throw that mend in your line the currest will pull your flies in right next to the back. There is no way to get them closer than you can in this way. YOu can get them closer this way because your flies are hanging stright down and with the line and indicator next to the bank the flies will be dragged in next to the bank then float with the current.
    I was shown how to do this many years ago by a very good fishermen. It really works well and the current does the work for you. You can do the same with a dry fly to. One other little trick that I use with dry flies when trying to get the fly right next to the bank is to use a weedguard on them. Just a small piece of mono is all that is needed. Then throw your fly up on the bank or in the grass and just pull it in. Works great to and be ready for a fish to smash it as soon as it hits the water. Hope you can use this information. Ron.

if there is a bank free of weeds and roots you could cast and let the flie slide down into the water. Sounds like fun.

+ Reply to Thread