+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whitetail Flytying

Default Whitetail Flytying

I have recently been learning to spin hair, and had been pretty disappointed with my results. Namely my attempts to fashion a deer hair popper bug for a swap here at FAOL. My desk is literally littered with "rejects". I finally broke down and called Chris Helm, on the advice of members here. This guy truly is into hair. I made a small order from him and got enough advice over the phone to cover the cost of materials, IMO. He also volunteered a "practice" piece of hair to exercise some of his techniques with. so I wouldn't waste the "good stuff". Combined with his insistence that I call him if I had any questions or problems. I was really impressed. The folks here who have dealt with him are well aware of this I'm sure, but if you are just learning spinning and stacking, save yourself some time and stress, and give this gentleman a call.

Default Re: Whitetail Flytying

I forget which person on this board first told me about Chris but both his knowledge and service are tops in my book...

...and he is a heck of a lot of fun to talk to!

Chris is a personal friend and the hair you recieved is no doubt a hide that he picked out and dried in his home. Tell him what your doing and you will get the correct hair. He likes to tie on a bare hook no thread, pack and then add a half hitch each time. Sells his design "Brassie" packer and as some great deer hair tying tapes. BILL

Sag,
    Chris is a great guy & his knowledge is nothing short of unbelievable. For a real hoot, plan a trip to his "shop". It's in the basement of his nice suburban Toledo home on a quiet cul de sac. Several of us went & got quite a kick out of the location. His bride greeted us at the front door, led us to the basement steps, where we immediately caught the aroma of deer hair. Fun visit...one we'll repeat for sure.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mikey,

I have Chris' video on tying with deer hair. When I first watched it, it was like an epiphany (considering all the fumbling I did over the years). I can loan it to you for as long as you like, just let me kmow & I'll "Pop it in the Post." I'm flying back from Orlando in the morning, and will be home by noon on Sunday.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread