+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pickled Fish

Default Pickled Fish

Hi All,

Years ago we used to have pickled herring on rare ocassions. I have fixed pickled white bass, and used the sweet pickle flavoring that the recipe called for.

It wasn't bad at all, but what I really wanted was the taste of the pickled herring we used to have. Does anybody have the recipe to convert white bass or other warm water fish into pickled fish with the flavor of pickled herring?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Default Re: Pickled Fish

You can still get soused herring over on this side of the pond Go to www.google.co.uk and type in recipes for pickled fish and there is loads of info there .
    Brian

Go to: http://www.cooks.com and type pickled fish in their search window. You might find something interesting there.

Blog Entries

I saw the topic and was afraid someone had dropped an open flask in the river.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Gandolf, As a man that has lived in Minnesota all his life and can trace his lineage back to Viking blood on the Eastern side of Norway I should and do know a little bit about pickling fish and Minnesotan. You can't get the same flavor from a dry fish like a northern, sunny (bream), or a crappie (white bass) as you can from an oily fish like a herring, lake trout or salmon. Pickled lake trout is really good, you could do a lot worse you know, if you every get a chance to catch them and try it; do. Where as pickling northerns, all the rage up here in the winter when we catch them thru the ice you know, are much drier tasting. Still very good but different. Now if you would like some pickled herring send me an e to crtssstuff@yahoo.com. You send me the money and I'll go to the store buy it and ship it to you. I fully understand your lusting for this type of food. It's more than just a Minnesota thing.

The real reason for pickling fish was to dissolve the bones, usually of some easily obtained but far too bony otherwise to try to eat. The liquid will dissolve the bones so well that even pike can be utilized.

JC...you might appreciate this...

Re: pike....my Dad used to go to Canada and come back with Nortern pike [snakes]. walleye, and musky...all bony and a pain in the you know what to try and pick through and eat...probably turned me and my brother and sister off as fish eaters.

Well let me tell you ..my brother now owns a fishing lodge in Minn. and he can fillet out a Northern so there is not one bone and leaves a beautiful fillet...I wouldn't have thought it was possible...trouble is he's left handed and it's hard for me to learn nor have I tried....I'm a rainbow person.

We can buy pickled herring in the dairy case of our grocery stores all over NE Ohio. It comes in a cream sauce or a wine sauce, and my taste buds are oozing right now thinking about it. I just may pick some up when we go shopping later. I can eat an entire 16oz jar myself. Check your local grocery stores, and if they don't have it they may be able to order it for you. This is a traditional appetizer in our family at Christmas time (Slovenian heritage). While we canned and pickled many things in our family, including our own sauerkraut, fish was not one of them. As was said earlier, it was just too dry.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread