+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cane...

Default Cane...

OK, here goes, what I want is opinions from folks who have had enough exp. in the cane world, like folks who can tell me the dif. from a low grade line of a fly rod to a st. croix, sage, wiston etc. I don't won't what you like anserws cause I don't know... K here's the resaon, I fished a very low grade fly rod for almost 4 years, when I would ask about the rod I would alwasy get responses like, if you like it, then it's good for you, I never identified the rod and true I was happy with it. Then after reading a number of post here, I went out and got a St.Croix rod, WOW!!! why didn't someone tell me b-4, the feel of the rod, the cast was alot longer, except I didn't know cause I was happy with what I had. (JC,you casting with a broom stick did not help lol) So what I want to know is, I'v read alot about the Boo, and I know there can be alot of flash added, what I want to know is what's the best Quality Boo rod I can get In a 5wt 7'6 rod that is $800.00 or less or am I just dreaming... All input welcome if you have knowledg of Boo, from a well source so to speak...Thank you all... Can I get the same rod with out the hey this is me or I'm pretty feauters???

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 20 December 2004).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Ps: I'v been advised to go to other bb's for this
    Q, I ain't going to, I'm here, this is my home,and I will set on the front porch with you all, and,decide, it's all here... Ps: the advice from the other board was very good, and welcomed, thank you sir, I just wanna stay home...

------------------

"Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Hi Grubb,
    A.J.Thramer builds top quality rods for a reasonable price. You can get one of his rods in the length, weight, and price that you are looking for.
    ajthramer@hotmail.com
    Bob

Grubb,
    That's a tough call. I appreciate your candor and upfront honesty. I may not be giving you the info you want, but I'm willing to share my knowledge. (limited as it is)
    First of all, if you want the very best cane rod you can own, get ahold of Ron Kusse. He's a sponsor here, and may still be a moderator on the bamboo chat. He is quite simply the best. I am totally un-aware of his price ranges. You asked about a rod that would sell for around $800 or less. Denver Dave (Dave Collier sp) may be able to help. Google Denver Dave and I think it may take you to his site. You can invest in an inexpensive Japanese bamboo rod, but I fear they may still have a problem with glue. In which case your rod will come apart on you. Then there is Buddy Davis. He used to post here, and if you do a user search you may find him. He was known as 2-weight on the bulletin board. I have one of his rebuilt rods and absolutely love it.
    Bamboo is not going to give you the fast paced rocket stroke of graphite. What it will give you is a connection with fly fishing that I think no other rod can duplicate. For some reason, I feel closer to the fish of my quest. I feel in touch with the current in the water I fish. When I fish with bamboo, I am fishing with something that was alive, and if caressed the way it should be, is still alive. When I fish with bamboo, I feel like I'm talking with the rod, asking questions of it and getting answers. When I fish with graphite, it's more like I'm giving orders and not listening.
    I fish both graphite and bamboo. I enjoy both, but if I were forced to pick between the two, I'd have to go with the living rod; bamboo.
    I hope what I've said here helps you. If you can get a chance to fish with a loner rod of bamboo, by all means do it. That will tell you more than any literature.
    Good luck in your quest, and have fun whatever you decide.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

JC,
    You know everybody and remember so much. I wish I had your memory, and you had my good looks. LOL

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

Jc, sir, could you be more spasifik, you know, more exact???
    Boy my spelling well...
    Bamboo, that's the secound calling i'v had for what you have sejested...
    ------------------

Hi Grubb,

I have a couple rods from John Channer that I have been very pleased with, I do belive he is in your price range. channer@frontier.net
    I also have a nice stick from Buddy Davis, who also restores rods and has them for sale. cdavis4@nc.rr.com
    There are also a few other rod makers I have heard good words about, AJ Thramer, Mike Brooks.. I havent had the chance to try one of their rods yet.
    Ron Kusse makes a wonderfull rod, one that you would be proud to hand down to your kids or grandkids. I know that when my grandkids get mine it will be well fished.
    Bill Taylor has started making "quads", I had the chance to cast a couple of his fine sticks, and as soon as possible I will be getting my name on his waiting list.
    What I might suggest is that you go to any gathering you can find.. be it a Fish In, a Flyfishing show.. anything where a few flyfishers are. There will be cane there, and I havent met a person that flyfishes that wasent more then happy to let someone try a rod out. Heck, thats how I started getting in the wonderful reed..
    Hope this helps...

Z

Second to A.J. Thramer. You can find his rods on [url=http://www.codella.com.:bcbb8]www.codella.com.[/url:bcbb8]

And let me put in a word for our own Harry Boyd, at [url=http://www.canerods.com.:bcbb8]www.canerods.com.[/url:bcbb8] Darned fine rods, Harry makes. I think his entry rod is a 7'6" 5-wt at $725.

If you can spend $800, new cane is the way to go. Modern guides, refined tapers, etc. will suit you better than a "classic" rod.

I fish "classic" rods and love them, but there's drawbacks to them as opposed to a modern maker you can go back to with problems, to make a tip, etc.

Hope this helps. As noted in something I scribbled once, "Once a man learn's what it's like to raise cane, he'll never be the same."

R

------------------
    [url=http://www.banner-tribune.com/ftos:bcbb8]http://www.banner-tribune.com/ftos[/url:bcbb8]

Grubb,

About fifteen years ago I had my hands on a Dickerson 7613 and a Summers 856 on the same afternoon during a wonderful Hendrickson hatch. The rods belonged to my best friend who years later lost both of them and many more in a forest fire and then died of cancer several years after that. I always wanted both of those rods, but came up with the Summers rod as a gift from my wife several years ago. I then came into possession of a Summers 735. I fish some fine graphite rods and also the Summers rods all the time. For a good many esoteric reasons I like the cane rods best...the heritage of them, the craftsmanship, the way they not only cast, but also the way they flex and liven up even more once the fish is hooked. Yours is a good question, and I urge you, like some of the others, to visit someone with a good many rods you can cast...preferably while on the water. After all, you don't buy a car after dring it around the lot. Can you get a good bamboo rod for $800.00?. Absolutely....either one made by a new maker or perhaps an Orvis impregnated rod. Visit Clarks Bamboo Rod Forum and you'll get plenty of good information about bamboo rods....there's a good section with rods for sale there also. Good luck.

yrs,

Mike

Grubb,

Mind telling us where you are? There's a pretty good chance we'll know someone in your neck of the woods with a closet full of cane for you to try out. I'd suggest first and foremost find what you want in a taper. Do you want a fast 7'6" #5 with a stiff tip, a slow 7'6" #5, or a fast 7'6" #5 with a nice soft tip? Or something medium to medium-fast? Finding someone with a buncha rods is a good way to educate yourself quickly.

Roger, thanks for the plug. And I'd second the recommendations on John Channer (I own one of his beautiful rods) and AJ Thramer (I've cast a bunch of his).

Harry Boyd

------------------
    --
    Harry Boyd
    http://www.canerods.com

+ Reply to Thread