+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting Bunny Strips?

Default Cutting Bunny Strips?

I just got a whole rabit skin that I want to use for Zonkers, Hare Worms, and Hare Grubs. I know that it is important to observe the lay of the fur in cutting strips. A cut from head to tail will produce a normal Zonker strip with fibers slanted backwards while a cut at right angles to this line will produce the "cross cut" strip with fibers leaning to one side.

I need to know if there are any tricks to cutting the strips. So far I have experimentally found out that I can cut a decent strip with an Exacto knife using a metal ruler to hold down the skin and guide the blade. I save the small amount of underfur, which gets cut off, for dubbing.

Am I missing anything?
    Bear742

Default Re: Cutting Bunny Strips?

Try getting the the hide up off of the flat surface before cutting. This will decrease the amount of fur lost by the cut. I use an embroidery hoop to stretch the fur.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Tim

I use a seam ripper that can be purchased at any Wal-mart fabric dept. or any sewing center. I think it works very well for this.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

As Tim says suspend the pelt and stretch it taut....I use push pins...or more often a rubberized horizontal jawed vise I have....pull it taut with one hand and cut with the other...I really like double edged razor blades ...the sharper the better...it's pretty easy to do free hand ....or there are tools for cutting multiple strips.

Along with the original question, had anyone used the circular wheel type fabric cutters for cutting the strips? I have been looking at them, but don't know if they will cut the hair along with the hide.

Haven't used them ....and as mentioned above I would avoid having to press against any surface...by suspending there is practically no cutting of the fur...

I've got some pictures handy you might find helpful....I either free hand with a double edged razor blade [nothing sharper that I've found]...or I use one of those tools for multiple strips....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ ... 0117-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ ... G_0120.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ ... G_0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ ... 0001-2.jpg

Duckster,

That is impressive stuff. A gal that worked with me while back used to talk about her father's work as a furier. He made and repaired Mink coats. From what she said, I surmised that a coat was not a bunch of Mink skins sewn together. The skins were cut into strips that were made into the coat.

The funny part was the repair of a full length coat. The seats would get worn out. Her father's art was to cut out the "bald" strips and replace them with matching new strips.

PS Mink makes great dubbing.
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread