+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whiskers!

Default whiskers!

just wanted to let everyone know what excellent dryfly, nymph bodies that hares mask whiskers make! they don't break like a quill does so it makes a quill body dryfly without having to soak the quills in water first

anyone else know about this ??

Default Re: whiskers!

What sort of whiskers?
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

flyandtie,
    Can you post a photo of a fly example?
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

OK I just read it again... hares mask.

Mmmmm....

Wild Rabbit
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

This is a neat idea. I got caught tweaking the cats whiskers the other day and was given some explicit advice from my daughter. I never thought of rabbit though. I'd love to see a pic too, so fire up flyandtie!

I too have used these. They are quite stiff and i found a little slick with the thread. But none the less very nice stuff.

It is an old idea, but a good one. One point though, a lot of people are confusing the Rabbit with Hare.

A little instruction :-

The European Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is a small, grey-brown mammal ranging from 34-45 cm (13-18 inches) in length,
    and is approximately 1.3-2.2 kg (3-5 lb) in weight.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... inchen.jpg

The European Hare or Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) is a species of hare native to northern, central, and western Europe and western Asia.

It is a mammal adapted to temperate open country. It is related to the similarly appearing rabbit,
    which is in the same family but a different genus. It breeds on the ground rather than in a burrow and relies on speed to escape.

It is larger, longer-eared, and longer-legged than a rabbit. It has a body size of 50-70 (19.685 to 27.559 in.) cm and a tail length of 7-11 cm.
    The weight for a full-grown adult ranges from 2.5 to 6.5 kg (5.156 to 14.33 lbs). It can run at speeds of up to 70 km/h (45 mi/h).
    It is strictly herbivorous. It eats grasses and herbs during the summer months but changes to feeding on twigs,
    bark, and the buds of young trees in winter, making it a pest to orchard farmers.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ldhase.jpg

This is a running hare, hence the expression 'hared off''.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... g_hare.jpg

The two animals may appear the same but they are definitely not, over here when a pattern says 'hare',
    it means 'hare' and when it says 'rabbit' it means 'rabbit'.
    There are hares masks for sale and there are, less commonly rabbit masks.

Hollywood and Bugs Bunny have a lot to answer for.

I feel much better now.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Donald,
    I fell into your trap! I knew it was a HARE, but I didn't think Gringo knew, so I said Rabbit to explain what we were talking about.
    Also, I don't think Buggs Bunny was very nice to Elmer Fudd!!!!!
    I don't want to 'HARE' any more about it!

D'oh!

Are the whiskers that different?

+ Reply to Thread