+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? Rod suggestion for fishing creek

Default ? Rod suggestion for fishing creek

A few miles from where I live is a reservoir that feeds a small creek/stream. In some parts the area is brushy. The creek is never more than 2? or 3? deep with some pools as deep as 5? to 10?. There are areas where the water is 3? to 6? deep. The width of the creek on average is 15?. The creek has wild trout in the 4? to 9? range. What rod weight and length would you suggest I buy?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Re: ? Rod suggestion for fishing creek

find yourself a 1 pc., 6' 3/4 glass rod.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

As always, the Master is right on the money. 3 wt would be a good choice. They come in 5 ft to 7 ft lengths. Beware though. You will be making short casts and the line wt will not load a stiff graphite 3 wt very well. I bought a little White River 5 foot outfit from Bass Pro just to see if I would like it for red - ears down in Florida. It came with a short 3 wt double taper line. Since the rod is graphite and very short, it tends to be very stiff. The 3 wt. line that came with the outfit just doesn't cut it. It doesn't load well on short casts and doesn't roll cast well either. I should have known that though. I should have cast it before I bought it. Shame on me.

I am going to try a 4 wt line (or maybe even a 5) just to see if I like it better. If you want to thoroughly bore yourself, you can try reading a couple of articles I have on www.hatofmichigan.org under e-book. Many do not agree with some of my ideas there but you may get some insight.

Above all, and JC has said this too, go cast it at the shop before you buy it. Cast it at the distances you will be fishing it on the stream.

Bobinmich

3wt is good, but the right 4wt works great too. Like a Winston 8'4wt TMF. Drops a dry as soft as you please, but will still throw a bushy critter.

I am almost giddy with the absolute brilliance of my answer. I said nothing about length, brand, action, color, (colour) or otherwise limit my reply. The question may have wished for more details, but,,, "3" is the best I can find.

Evil, evil web site owner!! Hee hee. I figured you were telling him to get three rods to cover all his bases! Or maybe a 3 foot, 3 weight, 3 piece rod!!
    Alan

I thought he ordered 3 beers.

I fish a similar type stream back east for wild trout. On this stream is a low tree canopy and in most areas it's bushy. I fish it with a 7'-0" 4WT bamboo rod because it's the smallest rod I own and loads easily for short cast.

On my wish list (and my next rod purchase) is a 6'-0" to 6'6" 3WT rod that will also load easily. I have little need to ever cast more than 25' on these small streams and concern myself only of it's abilty to make a cast within this 25' range.

So in brief:

1) short rod

2) light line #2-#4

3) loads easily for short cast

Good luck!
    Scott

I'd use a 3 of 7'6" length on the more open section's and step up to a 5 or 6wt. of same length for the tighter sections.(With a leader of 9 to 12 ft. your leader will be about all that touches the water in small waters most of time),
    you'll still get a good light presentation on the shorter casting these conditons allow for and have plenty of backbone to punch up under downed trees and such on the longer casts in the tight stuff to...
    In the warmer shallower summer season I'd drop as low as a 00 wt. for the delicate dry fly and tiny wet flies that work so well during that time of year..Just a few thought's...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread