+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OMN Thumbs-up

Default OMN Thumbs-up

Just thought I'd give a big thumbs up to Open Media Network for their downloadable free fly tying programs. Someone on the board(dont remember who) gave me the heads up, and think it has been just fantastic. I am self taught and in an area where i dont have access to many other tiers/groups. These programs run you thru step by step on some great patterns... I think there are probably 20 or so different shows and they usually go thru 3 or 4 patterns per show. The media driver is a free download and so are the programs.

http://www.omn.org/

Many tying vets on the board are probably aware already, but certainly a great resource for beginning tiers!!!

Default Re: OMN Thumbs-up

Thanks for the info, I too am in the wastelands when it comes to having someone around to help teach me to tye, as for as I know I,m the only flyfisher in the small county I live in. Thanks again.

Mark k

Why do you direct us to a website that my Spyware Detecting program says is suspect. I use Spybot.

Ray- I am not sure.... I had no issues downloading any portion of the driver or the programs... it may be a signature issue with the site

Fatman Guest

I have to agree with the OMN video's they are great!!!!!!!! Ray the problem you may be having is your spybot won't allow it unless you mark it as okay to come into your computer. I've downloaded the player and many of the video's and not had a single spyware or virus problem.

Fatman

The OMN player is the property of a company called Kontiki. http://www.kontiki.com. Which in turn is owned by VeriSign, http://www.verisign.com/. Here is Kontiki's [url=http://www.kontiki.com/client/privacy.html:69a87]privacy policy[/url:69a87]. They appear to have several heavywieghts for clients, Time Warner, BBC, Adobe, to name a few. While this certainly doesn't make them any less apt to nose around in your business than any other web application, they certainly aren't a fly by night. Their client appears to gather anonymous user data regarding what content viewers are looking at, and other statitistics. Each instance of the software also is assigned a Client ID. This does uniquely ID your computer, but not you. Again to track usage, and verify downloads, etc. Thirdly you will see that the Kontiki system has some peer to peer characteristics, that you can choose to participate in. In other words you can choose to let other computers use yours as a server and get files from you instead of main Kontiki servers. It is a closed system however in that only Kontiki authorized content is moved around. Not that video of uncle Ted from last summer's wedding.

I downloaded them all in 3 hours, and watched them all in 2 days. I love that site

JZ

I HAVE DOWNLOADED 39 DIFFERENT SHOWS THEY ARE AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFERRED TO WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER IF YOU RUN WINDOWS XP. I THEN BURNED THEM TO CD, TWO SHOWS TO A DISK AND USE THEM AS A PATTERN REFERENCE LIBRARY. IT'S A GREAT WEBSITE AND I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY SPAM AS A RESULT OF USING IT, BUT YOU HAVE TO ALLOW POPUPS TO DOWNLOAD THE PLAYER
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

+ Reply to Thread