+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which marker pens?

Default Which marker pens?

Which marker pens are good/best/no so good for flies? I will be using them on foam, rubber legs, synthetic & natural hair, ... Makes sense to go after some of the art pens with dual different size/shape points. I saw a review of 1 brand that was not good, so am trying to avoid trouble.

Default Re: Which marker pens?

I use to use Pantone pens exclusively. It seems that the company (laserset /Tria) are discontinuing the line of pens. Most of what you're able to buy these days are discontinued stock. I've gone to Prismacolor pens instead
    Randy

I have used 'Berol' dual tip art pens with excellent results, but now use 'Sharpie' fine point pens -- since they come in a wide range of colors not previously available. The 'Sharpie' pens also provide excellent results (in my opinion) & cost a lot less money. I have used the 'Sharpie' pens for all of the tasks you mentioned in your post. The art pens do come in a wider range of hues than the 'Sharpies'.

***** Always try to do a test sample to insure the color will turn out the way you expect on the material you are using.

Prisma. I splurged and bought the whole set. I like to sharpie point on one end and the magic marker on the other.

Which set dd you splurge on? $$$...
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by longears
    Which set dd you splurge on? $$$...
    Randy
    It was the 24 set, but I got it for a great deal of around $40.

I use Sharpie markers.

Mainly because they are inexpensive and come in wide range of colors.

When I misplace one (always misplace the one that I 'really need' for a particular fly), I can run down to the local office supply and buy a WHOLE NEW SET (the 'one' I need doesn't come in a single) for only about $20.

Sometimes I'll plan ahead and buy a 'new set' of 196 different colors when I see it on sale for only $99.95. Of course, when I look for it, I can't find where I put it (I always put stuff like that someplac safe, where I won't lose it-can never remember where that is, though) so I'm back to the office supply to buy another WHOLE NEW SET.

All kidding aside, all the permanent markers work just fine. I've used all of them, and can't really see a difference as far as the fish are concerned. Pantone used to have all the best colors, but Sharpie has seen the light and you can get good ones from them now....lots of point options too.

Use what you have, or what you can find. Fish won't care much.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I use the Prismacolor markers. They have the correct colors for flies and lures. I got the set as well!

Semper Fi!

Normand Guest

whichever brand claims to be "waterproof" should work!

I use a brand by Zig. They're waterproof and can be bought either separately or in a pack of 8. I have the Great Outdoors pack. Good range of color and have a matte finish. Got them at Wal-Mart.

+ Reply to Thread