+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go-to rod?

Default Go-to rod?

Hey Guys/Gals,,,

What's your go-to rod for lakes, small rivers, reservoirs and medium ponds? That should cover the average decent sized waters I'm thinking of. It's like this, "...humm, nice day, I have 3 hours to kill; think I'll do panfish and bass (1 1/2 - 2lb) today. Where's my quiver...." What is your weapon of choice? And, what do you take as back-up, just in case?

Jim

Default Re: Go-to rod?

My favorite all around rod for what you're talking is a 5 wt. Five Rivers rod I built, a blank by Dan Craft. In certain circumstances when I'm canoeing and there isn't much wind, I'll turn to my 3 wt. Rainshadow. I also have an 8 wt but don't use it much. JGW

If your talking under two pound bass and panfish. I love to use a 9 foot three wt. If you have wind then a 9 or 10 foot 5wt is great. As a back up for larger fish a would carry at least a 6 or 7 wt.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

An 8 ft 3 wt built on a H&H blank and a 5 wt 8 ft built on a other H&H blank.

I have takne bass to six pounds on both of these. Tnhey are great for panfish.

Rick

My $29.00 closeout Orvis Streamline rod. 8.5 ft 5wt. . Unbelievable feel and yet has good casting ability.

Back up rod is a Redington 9' 6wt in case I get into something the 5wt can't handle, which is seldom.

Back up back up is a spinning rod to match what I am going after that day.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Given the expected catch: I would take my 7ft 5wt and my 9ft 7wt.

But, if I am going to totally new water: I take my 6wt and 8wt, both 9ft rods.

Blog Entries

Dan Craft Sig V 4 weight. It is my go to rod in 90% of my fishing. Otherwise, I use a 6'6" Batson RX8 2 wt. My 6 and 9 weight rods don't get out much...
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

For bass, I prefer to take out the Sage 8' 6" 4wt XP but if it will be mainly brim/sunfish/bluegill it will be the 7' 10" 2wt TXL.

99% of the time I will use my 8 1/2' XP 4wt. If I feel I will need more rod due to wind or size of fish, I will use my 8 1/2' XP 5wt. If I intend to fish for bass in a lake or large pond I will use my TFO 9' Series I 6wt. If I decide to just have a slow relaxing day of fishing I will use my "boo".

I also own and never use the following rods and wonder why I have them:

Sage 4 piece 6wt - 9'
    Custom built Sage VPS 2pc. 5wt - 9'
    Custom built St Croix 2pc. 5wt - 9'
    Custom built "Little Trout Special" 7 1/2' 5/6wt
    Custom built Rainshadow 2pc. 6wt - 8 1/2'
    Cabela's Three Forks 9' 2pc. 8wt

After answering your question and seeing how many rods I have and never use, I wish I had never answered your question!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My go to rod is my Sage SLT 389-4. 3 weight, 8' 9", 4 piece. It is a dream to cast all day long and will handle bass up to a couple of pounds. It is still light enough that the gills are a kick with it.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread