+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salt water reel preferences

Default Re: Salt water reel preferences

I use a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 on an Orvis 9 wt in FL for snook and reds. I think JC invented the reel and the drag system(sealed cone with a one way roller clutch). I like it but there are many others I like too. Per JC, I contacted Lamson because I had an old model w/o the stainless steel roller clutch. The sent me a replacement free of charge even though the old one had never given me any trouble.

Bobinmich

Dudley that's all right. Easier to hide in the shadows, from fish and people.

If I wanted to look cool I wouldn't be hanging out behind bars and restaurants enjoying stale beer, fryalators, and decaying seafood trying to catch fish, I'd be inside them trying to catch something else.

We'll let the Pre-Madonas use the flashy ones.

Your hooks sharp????

MM,

My birthday is in February... I'll be 52.. plenty of time to think about it
    Thanks in advance

Nick.. that's harsh, we all put our waders on one leg at a time... . .. and I assume you've been fishing at Carpenters again
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hey my birthday's this week

I am half as old as dudley, does that mean I get half as much reel????

Your hooks sharp????

You might want to take a look at the Terry Hayden reels by TFO. Just a little more than you $300 budget but packs a lot of punch for the buck. I have a #1 for the 10wt and the #2 for the 12wt and have no complaints. Large cork drag surface and the finish is as hard as any that I have seen in the $500 price range. Just thought I would throw it into the mix.

Cheers and good luck

you can do worse than the Lamson Litespeed. Some of the older models are closing out at great prices. All in all I'd say one of the best looking reels on the market.

e

I'm not sure you can expect any reel to survive not being rinsed off. A sealed drag will help, but there's alot more still exposed. At the very least your line and backing will cake up as will your reel seat. It only takes a minute to run some water through it.

This place is great. I have so many ways to go with all the good input from everyone, so thank you all again.

Dennis B, well I have to stay at or under budget for a Bday present, but I don't have to for myself, so I'll keep the Terry Hayden reel as well as everyone elses suggestions in mind when I pick up a new or good used salt reel for myself.

I've noted all the Bdays posted and hey...happy, happy, hope you have a good one ! )

I looked at my Pflueger's and I could be wrong but I think they would need a complete cleaning and lubing once salted. Thanks again fine folks ! Like someone recently mentioned in an email...'sharp hooks mean screaming drags' !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I know what you mean about the Pfluegers, but I have used them for years in the Salt. First the chrome starts to turn green if left unattended. The alumnum can pit, but you know what, with a nice run of warm water under the sink (with the spool off) and a nice rinse of the spool and reel, I have held onto them for over 20 years and they are stll going strong. Hey, do you plane on putting your old reels in a museum or do you plan on using them? Use them, don't abuse them and admire them and relive the memories when your a 104.

Thanks Jonezee, no, I'll sell them or give them away since I doubt the museum has room for anymore ! Maybe I'll dedicate a 1595 DA I have to the salt and see what happens. Is the Orvis Madison (made by Pflueger for Orvis) of years ago any more or less salt resistant than the older Pfluegers from around the same time do you think?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread