+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pactola Reservoir, Black Hills, SD

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default Pactola Reservoir, Black Hills, SD

Anyone know the status of Pactola Reservoir in the Black Hills? When I was there last (3 years ago) it was at about 30% below it's original water level.

Are they trying to restrict water output to try and fill it? How is the fishing down stream of the dam in Rapid Creek?

Thanks for your help...
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Default Re: Pactola Reservoir, Black Hills, SD

Jim,
    We were there last September and the water level was about 20% of full. There were places exposed to air that hadn't seen air in many years (old foundations, etc). Below Pactola the immediate area was infested with didymo so badly that fishing was not possible. All aquatic life had been killed off, and the fish moved down stream. To fish there, and then move somewhere else would only insure the spread of didymo. In addition to all that, there was very little water in Rapid Creek there. Didymo was also fgound in Rapid Creek near Mystic, and in Deerfield below the dam.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey Betty,

Thanks for the note back - so sorry to hear about the status of Pactola. It is such a beautiful location...I've often thought about putting a sailboat in there.

That's so sad about the dydimo infestation...there were some beautiful places down Rapid and now I wish I would have spent more time there than in Spearfish canyon.

We still have ten acres out there south of Deadwood that's going to be our summer home in about 15 years...I only hope that there will still be places to free of dydimo by then...

Take care - Jim

Jim,
    The only way it will be free of didymo, is if the State quits stocking rainbows in the infected waters, people quit fishing those areas, and people take responsibility for good stewardship of the waterways, and disinfect their waders, boots and line. The State also need to get more into the irradication of the problem, education of the public, and the closing off of the infected areas.

As for the area of land south of Deadwood ... if you need someone to camp out on it till you're ready to build, just let me know!! I would gladly volunteer!!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey Betty - sounds like it's going to be an uphill battle for those beautiful Black Hills streams. Hopefully they can keep it from spreading into some of the other areas, specifically Spearfish and Little Spearfish creek, which is where I've spent the majority of my fly time out there.

And of COURSE you're welcome to camp on the land! South of Deadwood about 5 miles, take a right, go about 5 miles more and you can't miss it...it's the area with a lot of trees on it.

The bad thing is that we moved to Cincinnati last summer so it doesn't look like we're going to make it out to the Hills this summer...but next summer we're planning on spending at least a week out there. We have a lot of history out there - we were married up at Sylvan lake Lodge, spent a lot of time at Wikkiup cabins and Rim Rock Lodge. Needless to say there's nothing even CLOSE to the beauty of the hills out here in Buckeye land.

Take care - great talking with someone about those beautiful black hills!

Jim

+ Reply to Thread