+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Praying for Trout?

1. Default Praying for Trout?

From my article this week:

In the course of my years of fly fishing, I have probably spoken dozens of prayers while on the stream. When the sun was well below the horizon, and there was just enough light to tie on one more fly, I said to myself: ?Please let one more trout rise.? When the rain clouds were forming, and it looked like my day of fly fishing was going to be cut short, I may have whispered: ?Just a little longer, please.? And of course, when the trout were not biting, and every cast and every fly was ineffective, I might have said out of frustration: ?Come on, just one bite.?

As The Fly Fishing Rabbi, sometimes people ask me if my prayers for trout to rise are answered more readily than those of everyone else. I think not. I?m just as likely to get rained on, or to lose my fly in the dark or not to catch a single fish as anyone.

As I thought about praying on the stream, I asked myself: What should we pray for when fly fishing? Is there such a thing as a blessing for fly fishing?

There are prayers that are good for fly fishing, and they are prayers of thanksgiving. Ironically, I am more likely to say a prayer of thanks when I am not catching fish. When the water is silent, and I cannot get a bite, and I am not too frustrated, then I sometimes take a moment to look around. I watch the river flow by. I feel the breeze. I smell the pine needles.

When I see the beauty of nature, I ask myself: How did such an amazing earth come to be? What did I do to deserve to live in such a beautiful place? Feelings of awe, connection and humility come to me. And then I am led to a simple response: ?thank you.? Saying ?thank you? when fly fishing is to acknowledge that this earth we live on is a gift. Saying ?Dear God, thank you? when on the stream is to offer up a prayer.

Rabbi E

Default Re: Praying for Trout?

Rabbi Eric,
    Inspirational and nicely "writ". As I see this is your first post, welcome (unofficial) to FAOL. Your words are very telling as to the value of your future ( hopefully many) contributions.

Mark
    PS: And all that from an Eastern Rite Catholic too

RabbiEE,

Thank You for that one!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

RabbiEE,
    Thank you.

When fishing or hiking, I sometimes find it difficult to worship the creator and not His creation.

This week, my pastor is on vacation in the Smokey Mountians. My son and I are going there in a few weeks for a weekend of trout fishing. I did ask my pastor to talk with the trout while he was there and convince them that the 3rd week of June, they really do need to eat those tastey little fuzzy things tied onto the end of strings. I also suggested that I'm not above hinting for some divine intervention...

All joking aside, yes, I do God's presence to be quite humbling when I'm out on the water.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I'm thankful when I am able to fish and blessed when I catch them!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Rabbi,

I always enjoy reading your blog (so much I keep a link to it from my blog). I try to say a prayer myself whenever I go on a trip. Sometimes, it's a petition to keep me safe and sometimes when I am on the water, I saw a prayer of thanks for the entire experience.

7. Default Re: Praying for Trout?

Luciano,

Thanks so much for the link. I enjoy reading Texas Fly Fisher as well!

All the best, Rabbi

Quote Originally Posted by chavez
    Rabbi,

I always enjoy reading your blog (so much I keep a link to it from my blog). I try to say a prayer myself whenever I go on a trip. Sometimes, it's a petition to keep me safe and sometimes when I am on the water, I saw a prayer of thanks for the entire experience.

While I certainly agree with your thoughts RabbiEE, I must admit that I have prayed more for blessings of fish while on the river than of thanksgiving. Also admittedly, I have had MANY of those prayers answered with a sip of fly or a tug of the line. Welcome to FAOL, I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute you spend here!!
    Leave No Trace

Great post...

Why is it that God sometimes tries to trick you?

Say you spend all day praying for a bite, when does it come? When your looking back over your shoulder at something, the line is wrapped around your feet, and your fly is swinging...

I think God has a sense of humor...

I've never found a grander "Temple" to worship at.
    Sometimes we forget what were supposed to be about .
    I rarely forget "at the Temple" between the banks.
    Very nice article. It moves me.
    This is a good place to visit Rabbi ,
    Welcome in and shalome,
    Perch

p.s I am living proof that God has a sense of humor

+ Reply to Thread