+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on Purchasing a Pontoon

Default Advice on Purchasing a Pontoon

I have managed to save up a good sum of money and would like to buy a pontoon. I don't know much about them, and there isn't anywhere close where I can go check out different models. I did look at Dave Scadden pontoons at the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo in Minneapolis and they appeared to be excellent quality. I would prefer an aluminum frame, high quality pontoons, a boat that will slide into my pickup box (6ft. long box) even if it hangs out a bit, a solid mount for a trolling motor.

I have about $1000.00 to spend and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Advice on Purchasing a Pontoon

Make sure you buy TWO pontoons instead of one...and a frame to hold them together that forms a solid platform.

check out the Hobiecat 75 http://www.hobiecat.com/ and click fishing at the top of the page.

...and Cabela's has quite a listing of models as well...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hi there I love my pontoon boat, they are so much fun! I would say that some of the things to consider are:
    Pontoon length, this will dictate longitudinal stability and rowability (is this a word?) The longer the pontoon the easier it is to row as a general rule.
    Durability, this includes the pontoon fabric and bladders as well as the frame.
    Whitewater performance if you are going to use the toon on moving water this is probably the most important consideration.
    Extras, some toons come with all the bells and whistles and some come with no extras at all. If you have to add a load of extras the cost will build up, I would expect any good deal to include as a minimum an anchor system, a pump, storage bags and a cargo deck.
    I hope this helps some.
    All the best.
    Mike.

rnelson - Your criteria for selecting a pontoon isn't far off base from what mine was. I bought the Madison River boat from Dave Scadden. It includes a motor mount which is built into the HUGE rear deck. The anchor system is a through the frame design and works well. I have a Toyota Tacoma with a 6' box, and the assembled boat will fit in the bed if I deflate the pontoons first. If you have a full size truck with a 6' bed, you may be able to fit the boat in the bed with only a bit of deflating of the pontoons (not completely deflating them). The Madison River boat has the sliding stand-up platform that is the slickest design on the market. It slides completely out of the way when not needed, and slides into position in seconds for when you want to use it. The pontoons on the Scadden boats are the best on the market and are guaranteed for 15 years on the Madison River ST. This boat falls into your price range easily, and includes all the bells and whistles. No other 9' boat has the stand up feature, the weight capacity, or the Class IV rapid rating this boat has. It's the most boat for the money you'll find. Shop around - I think you'll agree......

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/springsale2007.html

6. Default Re: Advice on Purchasing a Pontoon

Just picked up a Dry Fly Float Boat from Dave Mcintire here and MI. Two man, well put together, rides great. Contact him on the WEB. JIM C

+ Reply to Thread