+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Build...

Default First Build...

Alright, I think I have picked out the blank for my first build. It is a 7 wt 9' 2 piece. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/cat ... 10202-907A

Has anyone used these blanks before? Or cast a rod that was made from them? Just looking for some input on their quality.

Also, What finishes will I need to complete a rod? I thought I only needed an epoxy for the guide wraps and to secure the grip and reel seat. Can i use the same epoxy for all of them? What is a "rod finish" and do I need it? Do I need tip top glue, or will the epoxy work?

Other than the glues, I think I have all the tools a need, or can make due. The rod kit comes with a grip, reel seat and guide set, along with some thread. What else do I positivly need? Any input and info is greatfully appreciated.

Default Re: First Build...

I built a rod on a rainshadow 4 Piece blank and it was OK -- a lot slower than I like so I don't use it. Since then I've made a couple on Dan Craft Enterprises Five Rivers Blanks -- alot faster. I like them alot better.

As for what you need, you will need a different Epoxy for the grip and reel seat than for the wraps.

for the grip and reel seat -- a Devcon 2-ton Epoxy from the hardware store is fine. Be sure it is water proof and has an adequate working time. Be sure to have some alcohol or Acetone available to clean things up.

For finishing the wraps, you will need something like Flex Coat -- I prefer the lite material. Again, clean up with alcohol.

To fit the handle and reel seat, usually you have to do some filing with "rat tail file".

You should also have some masking tape handy -- I use it to place all of my guides before wrapping. It can also be used to shim up the seat and or handle if needed.

Presumably you have some tip top adhesive.

After finding the spline/spine, I use a lazer level -- like a cheap one from Sears -- to line up the guide positions on each section. First I tape the blank to the counter top with the spine up and centered. Then I shoot the lazer down the blank section and mark the center where each guide goes. I use to do it by eye but the guides always seemed a little off -- they kind of creep over to the side a small amount. With the lazer on, I simply put a mark on the blank and then check it again by placeing a piece of paper over the guide postion so I can see the lazer.

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO READ THE AL CAMPBELL STUFF A COUPLE OF TIMES ON THIS WEB SITE AND HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED COLLECTED AND HANDY.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND DOUBLE CHECK ALIGNMENTS -- SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE APPLYING EPOXY. IF IT AIN'T QUITE PERFECT, RE-WRAP.

IN THE END, JUST HAVE FUN AND USE THIS SITE FOR YOU QUESTIONS. THE GUYS HERE ARE GREAT WITH ADVICE.

Blog Entries

Finish and epoxy are 2 different things. Use the 2 ton stuff or rod bond for gluing on the grip, seat, seat bushings. I don't use tiptop adhesive because I've heard of horror stories of the stuff loosening up if it gets too warm. I've gone to 5 minute epoxty for the top. It will hold, and if you need to, it can be broken free if you are careful. I've never needed to remove one yet, fortunately. But tips have been known to break.
    Finish is the coating you use to cover your threads and isn't really an adhesive. It acts more to seal and protect the threads, since they are really what holds the guides on your rod.

To build a rod, you will need:

blank
    stripping guide(s)
    running guides
    tip top
    seat
    grip
    winding check
    thread
    epoxy (2 ton)
    color preserver (optional)
    thread finish (flex coat or equivalent)
    masking tape or bushings for seat
    pen for signing or a decal
    krylon krystal klear (to seal signing ink if you need it)

For equipment, you won't need more than a rod support of some sort, a reamer or rattail file for the grip, a brush or spatula to apply finish, something for thread tensioning (could be no more than a cup and a couple of books), and a loop of mono or tippet to pull your tag ends when wrapping.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but that should come close.

As far as the Rainshadow blanks, I really like Batson products. Hook and Hackle carries the same blanks, and you get 20% off while supporting a sponsor (*hint, hint*). The only question would be do you like moderate or faster actions? I like moderate actions myself and the RX7 and RX6 are wonderful to cast. I have rods in 4, 6 and 9 weight in the Forecast line (RX6) and have built a couple RX7s for friends. I also have an RX8 and a Dan Craft and they are certainly faster. I like them all, but I'm not the most technical caster in the world.

Feel free to post or PM me if you have specific questions.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Thanks a lot for all the info. I was looking for a faster action rod. Something that can punch a big streamer for bass, pike, big trout, and salmon into a wind with some distance. Now I am having some doubts about that blank. Which sponers carry the five river blanks? And what is the difference between the Dan craft and RX8 blanks action and weight (not line weight, actual blank weight) wise?

Blog Entries

I don't think any sponsors carry the DanCraft line. You will need to go to his website (I think it's www.dancraftent.com). His blanks will be more money, but I think there is a 9 weight Sig V on sale right now for $50 or so. It isn't as fast as the FT. Dan is a nice guy and can help you get a kit set up with everything you need if you decide to go that route. His line used to go from Sig V to Sig III to the FT and went from lighter and moderate action to heavier and faster. He has the FTL in there now, too. I think an FT 6 weight will be in my future when I get the money together for it.
    Batson is a sponsor, so to be precise, you are still supporting sponsors if you buy their product, even from someone else. RX8 blanks are listed as extra fast action.
    I currently have an older model 3/4 Sig V that is my favorite rod. When you cast it, you can really put the line out there. Second favorite is an old model RX8 2 weight that casts like a dream also. I think either of these manufacturers will get you a terrific product for an outstanding price. And you can call either one and figure out exactly what you need to get to fill your requirements. They are all nice people from my experience.
    I sent you a PM with some other info as well.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

The RX8 I believe is a Batson product. The Fiver Rivers by Dan Craft. Both are proprietary. Both are fast action rods.

As for difference, I don't know. I have not built a Batson RX8. Batson has a good reputation. So does Dan Craft.

I personally would rethink the kit you were considering. I would suggest a 4 pc. rather than a 2 pc. -- however, this is just my preference . Mainly b/c I think it is easier to transport a 4 pc. when traveling -- especially in an airplane. I don't know anything about the company you are buying the kit from. I do know that Dan Craft or Hook and Hackle sell components or kits and these guys know how to build rods -- therefore if you have a problem you can call them and they can help you out over the phone.

The Batson's are good blanks. You need to buy them from a retailer -- you can't buy them direct.

Dan Craft can sell you a Batson as he is a dealer -- but his Five Rivers series are also quite good. In fact, I called him to purchase a Batson and he suggested his Fiver Rivers Blank b/c it was less expensive. I tried it and I liked it.

His number is 1-541-782-4404. He also has a web site. They will help you out. In fact if you buy from Dan Craft tell him you are just starting out so they can help you.

Expect a learning curve -- not too steep -- but still a curve. Initially you focus will be on the overall process -- but also take time on the details -- like aligning everything from reel seat, hook keeper, guides, etc. and the application on the finishing epoxy.

Learn how to work with the epoxy finishes. Go slow, blow out the bubbles, learn how to flame it, to smooth it out.

Overall, use this site for advice when your in a pinch -- these guys can give you incredible advice.

Again, review the Al Campbell information on this web site -- read it a couple of time so you know what to do.

An don't worry, if it ain't perfect -- so what? Nothing is and this rod doesn't have to be. Remember, the rod is a tool to through line out in the water.

Have fun.

+ Reply to Thread