+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob question pertaining bass

Default Noob question pertaining bass

Was wanting to know what kind of flies to use to fly fish for bass. Are bass picky? Can I just use some kind of streamer to get me some bass? Or are they like trout and I MUST match the flies with mother nature's natural bass foods? I've heard of things like poppers and such, but my local outfitters doesnt have such things because it is primarily a trout place.

I've got some "Bass" flys that have never seen water. Frogs and mice. E mail me your address and I'll send 'em along.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

Woolly buggers work for bass. They also seem to work for trout too. I don't match the hatch since this is an affectation of advanced fly fishers and I'm just a newbie

Jared,
    Streamers, especially wooly buggers, are a good place to start. I've had bass in my pond just annihilate dry flies also. If you're fishing on a lake, usually the key is getting the fly to where the bass are. Therefore, you would need anything from a sinking line to split shot to a heavy fly or any combination depending on the depth needed.
    Now if they are hitting topwater and you don't have a popper, try a sneaky pete, or maybe even a girdle bug or ***** creek, or some sort of a big dry (an adams is my favorite) or a big elk hair caddis or even a salmon fly. They aren't too picky when they are in that state.
    I think the key is to not rule out a fly just because someone says it's not for bass. Hope this helps.

Ben

Why does ***** creek get censored?
    How about red ***?

What if I hyphenate it?
    *****-creek
    red-***

I'm gonna be fishing rivers in search for some small mouths (or whatever I can catch). The lake info is good to, not planning on going to a lake too soon, but I'm sure I will some time. I like trying all kinds of fishin'.

Go with wooly buggers in all different colors then. Olive and black seem to work the best, but I've also tied my own chartruese and I hear purple works good also. They should have some flash on them too.

In a river or stream the b1tch creek will also work well as a crawdad imitation when fished on the bottom. I have been playing with crease flies this spring and they have worked quite well.

Try what you can get your hands on and I am sure you will get some fish. The Bass eat what is available to them, just like the trout will. Find something that is at least similar to their normal food and present it as if it is their food and I bet you will find yourself attached to some of them Bass.

Don
    Don Rolfson

You really dont need a lot of flies for smallmouth, but the flies are generally a lot larger than those used for trout. I'd recommend the following

Topwaters:
    Gaine's Dixie Devil Popper size 6-2 (cup face popper)
    Gaine's Sneaky Pete sizes 6-2 (surface slider)
    Color does not matter as long as its chartruese.

Middle of the Water Column Minnow Type Baits:
    Shenk's White Minnow or SAS Minnow size 2-4
    Lightly weighted clousers 2-4

Bottom Bouncers:
    Lead-Eye Rubber Leg Wolly Buggers size 4 & 6
    Heavy Clouser Minnows 2-4

Tim Holschlag's new book "Smallmouth Fly Fishing" is best text that I've seen on smallie fishing with a fly rod. You might want to pick up a copy. Try to buy wooly buggers in colors similar to your local crawfish. Cheers.

[This message has been edited by crcaddis (edited 14 June 2005).]

Among the standard trout flies any baitfish imitation will do, also some of the bigger nymphs for sub-subsurface, a muddler fished dry on top as a grasshopper works very well too.

You can always go to an online site and order if you can't find anything for bass local. x-Mart and most sporting goods stores usually carry poppers though.

Of course, you can always start tying your own, that way you can have any flies you want.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

+ Reply to Thread