+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying commercaly

Default Tying commercaly

I have given alot of thought about tying commercaly. Many guiding company's, and small flyshops really like my flies. I just have a couple questions.

1. Do you tie alot of variety's? Like, I am planning if i do tie commercaly, that I will probobally tie Stimulators, small midges, and possibly a new flie that I have devised (A couple guides said that it WILL catch fish.)

2. Taxes . I have read the article in the latest flytier magizine that It is better to sell both retail and wholesale. And when tax day comes, do you just put the extera money in a bag, and send it to uncle sam?

3. How do you price your flies? Do the buyers look at your flies, and look at the quality? One freind of mine is a guide and he said that they buy dries and nymph's for about $.90- $1.20, is that pretty good.

If I have left out any other things That I should really know, if you could, can you tell me what?

Thank you,

JZ

Default Re: Tying commercaly

JZ,

Seems to me that you aren't going to make any $ at this unless you can tie 20 flys in an hour (1 fly every 3 minutes) and can do it 8 hours a day. That works out to $160 a day. Now deduct, materials, tools, electric, heat, air conditioning, rent, taxes, transportation, insurance, postage, I'm sure I've missed some things.

You will need a large market to sell to or you will saturate it very quickly.

You are going to be competing with cheap off shore labor, they can sell product for a lot less than you, $1.00 per fly may be hard to get.

You may be competing with the guides that the services hire, they will sell their flys before they sell yours.

Talk with your lawyer, accountant and insurance agent there are tax, zoning and insurance laws that you will need to know about.

I'm sory to be the bearer of bad news but you should be aware of the down side as well as excited by the thought of selling something that you create.

Should you decide to do this, I wish you the best.

Don
    Don O

I was just re-reading this today:

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac102901.html:27fcc]Al Campbell's Article[/url:27fcc]

Not a very encouraging article, but I think he answers your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DonO
    JZ,

Seems to me that you aren't going to make any $ at this unless you can tie 20 flys in an hour (1 fly every 3 minutes) and can do it 8 hours a day. That works out to $160 a day. Now deduct, materials, tools, electric, heat, air conditioning, rent, taxes, transportation, insurance, postage, I'm sure I've missed some things.

Talk with your lawyer, accountant and insurance agent there are tax, zoning and insurance laws that you will need to know about.
    I Am 14 years old, I don't have to pay for rent, heat air conditioning, tra sportation, and insurance. and abouve all i don't have a lawyer . Someday, i will have to worry about that, but not yet =P. But thank you both for your help.

JZ

JZ,

I think if I were going to try this especially at your age (and good for you by the way) I would try to talk to Charlie Craven, and or Al and Gretchen Beaty and even A.K. Best, all of who frequent this site from time to time. They have actually done it, or still do it. They should be able to give you the answers that YOU need.

Hope you make enough to buy that Z-axis you've been wanting or at least for some spending money during these great years!

Ed

PastorEd got me to thinking (very dangerous). Al & Gretchen Beatty had an article not so long ago in Fly Tyer magazine on things to know about going commerical. If you have the magazine look back a couple two three seasons.

Update: According to the website, it is the current issue that has the article under First Wraps: Tying for Dollars Al and Gretchen Beatty.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

JZ,

God Bless you! I admire your drive. Remember though, you still have to play by the rules. Taxes, Zoning, and marketing rules are the same for a 14 year old as they are for us "OLD" folks.

Good luck.

Don
    Don O

Quote Originally Posted by JZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DonO
    JZ,

I Am 14 years old, I don't have to pay for rent, heat air conditioning, tra sportation, and insurance. and abouve all i don't have a lawyer . Someday, i will have to worry about that, but not yet =P. But thank you both for your help.

JZ
    JZ,
    If you stay single, you won't need a lawyer!
    Good Luck!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Shoot Doug,

A lawyer would try to find a way to sue you for being single.

I can't imagine trying to tie flies for a living or even pocket change. I tie for pure pleasure and relaxation. There have been occassions where I wrapped the hook shank with thread and walked away for awhile. (I hope the mission would have a room for me if I ever decided to try it).

I sure admire the energy, drive and ambition you have JZ.

Best wishes
    Steve

Thank you for all of all your help, i realize how many fly tiers think about tying flies for a living, and how, I tie flies in school! I am so lucky that I can say "hey, I want to tie flies for a job, and not worry about my house getting repossesed, going bankrupt(I bet i can say something none of you can say right now, I've got no money in my bank account, and I still owe people money!) or having my wife leave me . So I am very lucky that I have the freedom that I have. I have been pretty down latly. I almost got in a fist fight with my best freind today, even though, people think I wouldn't harm a fly... fishing pole . I hope that if you don't tie flies commercally, and you try that none of the things I said above will happen.

Many thanks,

JZ

+ Reply to Thread