+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: When do Flies become Lures

Default Re: When do Flies become Lures

When this discussion comes up, I defer to the IGFA rules. Because, it is really the only time it really matters, right?
    (Note: Buddy is right, a fly is a type of lure by their definition.)

F. LURES
    The lure must be a recognized type of artificial fly, which includes streamer, bucktail, tube fly, wet fly, dry fly, nymph, popper and bug. The use of any other type of lure or natural or preserved bait, either singularly or attached to the fly, is expressly prohibited. The fact that a lure can be cast with a fly rod is not evidence in itself that it fits the definition of a fly. The use of any lure designed to entangle or foul-hook a fish is prohibited. No scent, either natural or artificial is allowed on flies. The use of scented material in a fly is prohibited.

Default Re: When do Flies become Lures

Quote Originally Posted by Philly
    Doug:
    The props work fine, at least when I spin them with my finger. The hardest parts were figuring out what size bead to use and type for the prop to spin around. The hard plastic beads would make for a lighter fly but it's tough to get them past the hook bend. I settled on the standard fly tying bead head. The next trick was how much space between the front and back bead head. It's a fine line between the prop not spinning and spinning with a wobble, though that may not be a bad thing. The last was when I was doing the epoxy head some of the epoxy leaked down the shank. So after the head set up enough that I could stop rotating it, I had to rotate the prop to keep it from locking up, then clean off the shank and the prop.
    I'm pretty sure the fly will work. It's one of my better producing patterns without the prop. I've caught bluefish, striped bass, pike, smallmouth and trout with it. I just want to see if the prop will make it any deadlier.
    Philly,
    I wanted to tell you that Epoxy is what I first thought of when the issue of helping the propeller spin came up. It sounds like you really had to clean up the propeller after you used the Epoxy. I would experiment with bright green or pink paint on the propellers. Just look at some silver spinning lures to get some ideas for designs.
    Good Luck!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread