+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Refinished "blue collar" bamboo rod swap

Default Re: Refinished "blue collar" bamboo rod swap

Barry,

Rods away! You should see it within two or three days. I hope you enjoy fishing it even more than I did working on it. I gave it my best effort, with perfection, or at least a level of finish similar to that of some of the experienced restorers and builders, as the goal. Once again, I was humbled. Having done a few of these rods, I know I am getting better with each project, but I am a long way from the magic that is done by these experienced craftsmen. Like I say it is truly humbling, but also inspiring. Someday, my rods will look that good. Someday?

Most everyone seems to want to just limit the write-up portion of the project to what was put on the board, which is fine with me. After all, it?s April, and the fish are calling. So I think I have described the process I went through pretty thoroughly. Thanks going on this little adventure fellas. It was fun. Will have to do it again sometime!

Here are some photos:

Before?

And after?

looking great jim.
    lucky barry.

Jim,

Sounds wonderful......now the pressure is on for me to like it.

I am sure I will. I haven't been fishing for almost a month now......work has been crazy and tax season is almost over. Should be able to try it out in a week or two.

Thanks alot Jim for your hard work. It looks just awesome.

Barry

Jim,

The rod arrived today.......it looks WONDERFUL. Your work is truly amazing. You have everything to be proud of. The wraps are beautiful and the finish is just perfect. The way that you kept everything original is the mark of a true craftsman. I can tell that you put your heart and soul into this rod and I am almost afraid to fish it. However, I am looking forward to fishing it in the very near future. It may be a few weeks. I have something going for the next three weekends in a row. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, Barry

I'm am thrilled to hear that you like the rod Barry, and humbled by your kind comments! My concerns about the finish quality arise from seeing the finish work of some of the experienced rod builders and refinishers. Their work is truly astonishing, and would be so gratifying to complete a rod project having it look the way they make them look. Just exquisite craftsmanship. Like I say, someday, mine will look as good as theirs, but it will take time.

I am pleased with how it turned out and thrilled that you like it. If you cast anything like me, I am certain you will love casting this rod. I was so smitten with the rod after casting it, that I intend to find another one just like it to refinish for myself. It makes the 9' South Bend 59 I just refinished before it feel like a club. That #10 is truly a noble rod, a fine instrument, worthy of restoring, and deserving to be fished again. It was a priviledge to have had the opportunity to put it back in condition to fish again. That's where it belongs, on the water.

When you have a chance, let us know how it casts with the banty rod grip you made (I am curious about that). Also, I would love to see some photos of it streamside, hopefully alongside a nice fish that it help coax into your nets. Thanks Barry! Keep in touch!

Jim,

I haven't made a banty handle for it yet. I Have a handle that fits my other two rods but it is too small for the Heddon. I had gotten another ferrule but it is too large. I don't know what the exact size should be. I need to ask around and see if I can find the right ferrule. I just love casting my other rod as a banty. Actually last time out with it, I had gotten frustrated with it and switched to the banty setup and loved casting it and caught a bunch of fish. It is then 6'9" and cast like a dream.

Will work on some pictures.....I am always scared to carry a camera but maybe some ziplock bags in my waders will make it happen.

Barry

Jim,

I have PM'd you.....has it gone through?

Barry

Barry,

Yep, check your PM.

Jim

Well Gents, the due date draws near. Has everyone sent off and received their rods? If not, have you had contact with the person building your rod?

P.S. If you have not posted a photo of your finished rod, be sure to post them for everyone to enjoy. And when you receive your rod from someone else, give them the best reward you can, a photo of some of the fish you catch on it!

This is the eve of the due date. Did everyone get their rod? How about a few pictures also, if you haven't posted them yet.

Don't forget the photos of the rods streamside, hopefully with a big ol' slab of a fish next to it!

+ Reply to Thread