+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I think i can... I think i can...

Default I think i can... I think i can...

I just got a great idea... I'm going to make a bamboo fly rod by hand. In about one and a half hours, I'm halfway finished with a real seat, And i've got the bamboo. I've never made a flyrod in my life, but i think this might be a good way to learn. I'm not going to use any special tools, accept for the things to make the little bamboo triangles... Do any of you guys think I can do it, And if so, Do you have any suggestions. I will try to post my progress as often as I can, but if I give up I guess i will just make a graphite one

Wish me luck,

JZ

Default Re: I think i can... I think i can...

I know ya can...I know ya can I havent made that step yet, I refinish Boo. Others will chime in here, but just take your time. If you get a little frustrated get up and walk away from it for awhile. Theres good help here on the archives, and there are very experianced people here who will give you good advice. And dont forget the pics!

Run from this place as fast as you can. Run to the furthest reaches of the earth to escape. It is Dark in the world of bamboo.

But, If you don't heed the above advice, welcome to the dark side. Making bamboo fishing rods will more than likley to become an adiction. So many tapers to make, so many tools(goodies, toys) to collect.

Good luck with your project.

fishbum

Yeah... I don't have any of the tools except for sand paper, the epoxy and the thing that steams the fly rod... Is it possible to taper it by just slowly sanding it down... I know that you have to split it and everything, but what about this thing... ( the 14th picture down.) http://www.thomaspenrose.com/tonkin.htm . Do you have to have it? What I was thinking I could do Is just wrap some tough thread every 6 inches down each half of the fly rod. The rod wil be 7 feet long. Did I mention that I am carving the realseat by myself?

JZ

You can do it!!!

Take it slow and easy, walk away when it gets frustrating, practice, practice, practive, then glue! I got faith in ya, Kid!!

Keep us posted!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Shoot me a PM and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

7. Default Re: I think i can... I think i can...

I think ou can't! Ithink you can't!

Even with magic It will take longer. I have now spent over thirty years trying.

Ralph

awwww heck - I was going to warn you, tell you to run for as long as you can then run a bit farther ....... naw.

Take it step by step, slow and easy and there'll be no problem (unless you're like me and start a few rods but don't finish them) ....... I have a graphite that needs the epoxy, one PMQ waiting for hardware to arrive, and today, for the sake of doing nothing else, I split, planed and glued up my 2nd PMQ (Sharpes taper - both of 'em). The 2nd one is definately better dimensionally - only one error there. Learned quite a bit from the first one, and will do better again on the next one. I'm surprised how quick and easy it is to plane up the PMQ's. Still looking at hitting the hex's, but got to do the plane form from square one.

Anyhow - give 'er a go. There's a weatlh of info here, and lots willing to help. ........... oh yeah - pics are mandatory ......... and to appease the pic people - here's my 2nd PMQ Sharpes after gluing ....... final plane should be Tues ......

darrell,

Well, the shop, most of the time, but when not, Mountain Home, AR

I agree with Ralph, even with magic, there's no way you're going to make a bamboo rod in a short period of time. Many rodmakers call their first rod the "Thousand Hour Rod". They aren't exaggerating too much. It will take every evening you have for many weeks, possibly months to produce your first rod, if you want it to be of any quality. It's not an impossible task, but it's not an easy task. If it was, then everyone would be doing it and people like me would have to find another line of work!

Tools... Yes, there are some "specialty" tools you will have to have. A planing form is a must. Good low angle hand plane is a must. A binder (the tool that wraps to the rod in opposing spirals of thread to hold it together during the gluing and heat treating processes) is not a must, as there are a few out there that "hand bind", but you have to have exceptional feel to hand bind and get just the right tension on the thread. Sanding a rod to a final taper is a nightmare. First, you'll probably ruin your fingers, your rod sections and your sanity. As Jim Payne once said about one process of rodmaker he was asked about, it's "...like doing brain surgery with a butterknife".

I love to see people make their own rods, and I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. All I'm saying is, you're going to build a rod that, if you bought it from someone like me, would cost you between $1500 and $2000, so don't hesitate to get the proper tools to build the rod. If you're going to jump in, at least jump in with a planing form (there are places on the net that will tell you how to bulid your own), a couple of good hand planes and some sort of binder (you can make your own, I did and it works great... plans from the old Wise Fishermans). Talk to some rodmakers. Most are more than willing to help you out. I am willing, for sure. email address is RLNunley@hughes.net I may be slow answering (I spend a lot of time in the shop and am travelling quite a bit right now. Heading back south in a few days) but I will answer and help you in any way I can.

As for how long it takes to make a quality rod... count on that "Thousand Hours". If you come in at 500 hours, you're doing good. LOL The next one will be quicker, and the next quicker, and with each rod, your workmanship becomes better. Before long, you'll be making rods in 40 or 50 hours instead of 40 or 50 days, but in the end, it will be well worth it.

Summary:

Invest in the right tools for the job.
    Don't expect too much of yourself first time in the fire.
    Be patient... rodmaking will test your patience and temper!

Best of luck,
    Bob

10. Default Re: I think i can... I think i can...

I am sorry if I was a little flip, I first decided to build bamboo rods in 1952, and finally got the first one built in 1070. Your 1 and 1/2 hours kind of hit me. Like Bob says, you can do it, it will take time and yoou will be so gratified when you finish. Need any help,there are lots of us who will assist you. My e-mail is rmoon@fairpoit.net.

Good Luck

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread