+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spinning the night away

Default Spinning the night away

Got my first batch of deer hair yesterday, and spent a few enjoyable hours at the vise. This is fun! I may never tie another trout fly again. One concern I had was thread. Researching the topic I saw many admonisments regarding using Gel Spun, ship hawser , or some other super duper strong material. Having only 3/0 monocord, that is what I used. I never had a single problem with breakage. Am I not pulling hard enough? The hair seems tight, and it spun pretty well.

Default Re: Spinning the night away

If you could post pics, it would help alot. I have a nice collection of about 20 nice divers, that shops have said that they would rather use mine than the ones that they sell. I am a little bit different of a tier when it comes to deer hair. Lots of people say that You MUST use 0/0 thread, but I use 3/0 thread. After about 100 breaks of it, you are about used to how much preasure it can hold. One thing that I like about my thread is that it is a brand called UTc ultra thread, and it is very nice, it is alot easier to get through the hole of the bobbin, and it is also very easy to make a nice head with. Chances are that you have a hair packer, but if you don't... GET ONE! It helps so much that I couldn't ever go back to just using my fingers. You might have already seen this site, but it shows a very nice way to pack hair, an gives some very nice step by step instructions...

This is my main freshwater tying site for stillwater. It is amazing! http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/welcome.asp

And here are my 2 favorite patterns from the site. They are so easy to tie I am sure you will enjou them.
    http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns2.asp?page=5 And the next one slays pike! But i'm sure it would destroy bass too.
    http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=28

Here is a pattern that will also destroy warmwater fish.

It is something that I have devised... (even though it dosn't use any deerhair at all...)
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214 ... ies015.jpg

I hope that the tying go's good, and i hope your flies bring good luck...

JZ

some people spin hair with 14/0! but that is pretty extreme i usually spin with 6/0 or 3/0 and they work fine. but you should try kevlar. you never have to worry about that stuff breaking . i usually tie bass bugs with kevlar or 3/0 and trout bugs with 6/0. but get a hair packer if you don't already have one they are great

Sagitarious,

Lots of different threads will work well for spinning deer hair. You've found one that works well for you.

There are a number of trout patterns that benefit from an ability to spin deer hair. Muddlers, hoppers, and irresistables just to name a few.

If you want to really challenge yourself, try making some tiny spun deer hair bugs for bluegills. Spinning a tight deer hair head on a size 12 or 14 hook is an accomplishmnet.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

it's really fun to spin deer hair with 8/0 on little bluegill flies

Good news and bad news
    good:
    I just finished 2 divers in like 2 min...
    bad:
    out of yellow and black deer hair...

Thanks for the reassuring words everyone. JZ I love Warmwater Fly Tyer, they have alot of cool flies there, your bunny fly looks excellent. Those brass dumbells look familiar! Trying to fill up my material drawers, and being basically ignorant, I recently purchased one of those Whitings fly tiers variety packs. Lots of partial skins with plenty of low quality feathers. I'm sure you all know what I am talking about. Well, big ole' deer hair bugs look pretty cool with a pink grizzly soft hackle collar, and several lime green webby round tip hackles for legs.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Sagittarius,

I didn't didn't know that I shouldn't use 3/0 monocord to spin my deer-hair bugs . It always worked for me. I just like monocord for the job and it never seems to break. I had heard the kevlar thread was too strong and could cut both deer hair and fingers (or in my case, thumbs) if you pulled too hard. 8T

Blog Entries

As Buddy said, lot's of different threads will work for spinning deer hair. I have used monocord but I also use Danville flat waxed nylon a lot for the bigger deer hair flies. I use Uni 8/0 to spin deer hair for the smaller stuff. I have a couple of spools of the GSP thread that a buddy gave me but I haven't got around to trying it yet.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread