+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PA Flies??

Default PA Flies??

I've gotten a chance to take a trip with my son and some Boy Scouts this weekend. They're going to a camp in northwest PA, and I'm told that French Creek runs through this private property. They'll let us fish, there won't be the normal opening weekend crowd, and it's supposed to be an good cold water stream with "native" trout. My question is, does anybody know what flies would be a must for this area? I've got a selection of small midges and BWO's... is there anything that's a "MUST HAVE"?

(Thanks in advance for any info, I'll have a great time fishing it, but it would be even better to be catching some!)

Default Re: PA Flies??

Dear Bill,

If the weather forecast is to be believed I wouldn't be expecting a great deal of dry fly activity. Here in Central PA they are calling for over 1 1/2 inches of rain through tomorrow with additional rain periodically over the weekend.

With that in mind I've have plenty of wooly buggers in dark colors and more than few larger gaudy nymphs like beadhead Princes and beadhead caddis larva.

If the weather doesn't get as bad as forecast you may see some Hendrickson's, Quill Gordon's, and Little Blue Quill's as well as some caddis. Hendrickson's in size 12-14, Quill Gordon's in size 10-12, Little Blue Quill's in size 18 and caddis in size 12 to 16 should suffice.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Rain doesn't bother me too much, it's wind that kills my casting. But, good point, dries may not make it. Thanks much for your input.

Bill:

It's totally an apples to oranges thing location-wise but don't be discouraged with the weather forecast.

I recently came back from a fishing weekend in the Poconos with snow, 36 degree water and air temps in the 20's. I caught fish every day at every place I fished including two Class A streams.

All fish were caught subsurface on a variety of flies with a size 12 bead-head Prince and a size 10 bead-head Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear nymph being the top producers on the wild streams. And are you ready for this; a size 6 Royal Coachman wet fly was the top producer on the stocked streams!

Have fun and keep warm!

large streamers or nymphs we got 1/2 inchs of rain over nite here in pottsville, with more to come. bam, fishing is not in up north,it comes in on sat. april 14. flyman 3

flyman 3:

I was fishing on Special Reg sections in the northern counties but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Soft-hackled hare's ear is my goto on new streams. Just fish what you have confidence in and you better dress warm, I think the rain forecast has changed to SNOW.

After all the rain, French Creek looked a lot like the Ohio River! A local kid who told me he hunts, traps, and fishes all year long said the only hope was to drift a nightcrawler about a foot below a small bobber and pray you don't get snagged. "Egad" says I, I came here to do some flyfishing! Then he pointed out "the pond" just up toward the camp, and said if he was looking to catch some fish, he'd be doing it up there "until the crick comes down at least 4 more feet." Wading was unthinkable (as were the nightcrawlers) and without wading, room to backcast limited.

So, we found out that wooly buggers were acceptable to a variety of sunfish and some largemouth bass. Given a week without rain, we'll head back up in the area and try our luck, and perhaps, actually fish with a dry fly!

Thanks again, for your responses!

+ Reply to Thread