+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Inserts from new lathe

Default First Inserts from new lathe

Well, I finally got enough tooling in place and got a box of "castoff lumber" from my nephew who makes pens, so I made my first couple of inserts for my next rods. Still need to put a finish on them before they go into a build.

I need to find a place in the shop for this baby. I don't want to leave it in the garage, but it sure is nice leaving the chips and sanding dust out there. I'm using an old Jacobs Portomatic chuck until my 3-jaw arrives in the next couple of days. The Jet dealer wanted $100 for teh 3-jaw, and I found the same thing on Amazon.com for $38.50 with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/PSI-LCM18-Micr.../dp/B0000223WZ

The sky's the limit now! Let's see...is there a cork tree in the neighborhood?

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Re: First Inserts from new lathe

COOL !!!!

Good Stuff! Keep these pictures up it's going to cost me!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Wow Joe, You have really been pulled into the dark side...I thought it was just me. Bought a metal lathe about a year ago...There is no cure for us....someone help

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad,
    Joe is lost forever......he'll never be the same...but he's havin' a ball!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

if he keeps playing with that lathe he will get swallowed by the vortex and never return to rod building - (any idea how I know that) -

Hey Ark...I am afraid to ask
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Great looking inserts Joe, may I ask if you made those reel seats? Also, how will you apply the finish and what will you use?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Boy, a guy enhances his hobby and everyone thinks he's headed into another solar system. Really, guys, I bought the lathe to make my own reel seats and grips, not to start a table & peg-leg business (Pirates scare me). I was not happy with the production inserts I saw, nor with the tidy sum they wanted for the more desirable inserts made with various burls (the bunions and carbunkles on trees). I've learned a lot recently on Rodbuildingforum.com to enhance my skills, so it's natural that I would drawn deeper into the vortex of this hobby. Here's one of the things that whet my appetite to "roll my own." http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=15049

Mark is a talented builder, and he made the the cork reel seat insert and grip, as well as the titanium hardware for a Dan Craft 1wt that I'm building. Here's his work on the tiny stuff, and keep in mind he makes all the titanuim parts from raw stock.

Montana Moose: Yes, I made the inserts shown in the above picture, but not the skeletons. They are the "first fruits" of my latest obsession, and I hope I have more to show as time goes on. I'm thinking of making a grip for a 2wt as my next project, and I'll be using one of these seats and inserts on that build.

Thanks for your continued support. With guys like you for friends...

Oh, since everyone went to bed I decided to edit this post to include teh first coat of Tung Oill on the new inserts. here are the before and after shots:

Ain't they purdy? Yepper!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks Joe, that quenches my curiosity ! Lookin' good with the tung oil too.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread