+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Searching for help

Default Searching for help

First, I love this site! There is an incredible amount of useful information here. Thanks to all who participate and sponsor, and especially to JC and LF for their hard work and dedication.

And now to my question. The only complaint that I have about the site is that I have been almost completely unable to find anything that I am looking for using the keyword search. Working in the IT industry I am very familiar with computers, the internet and searches but I still find my search results woefully lacking. Are there any tips or guidelines for how to make effective use of the search on FAOL? At the prodding of JC and LF I have tried to find things on my own. Of course the good news is that is you post a question JC, LF and occasionaly other members are quick to point you to what you want. Maybe this would be a good topic for an article (or maybe there is already one that I can't find!).

Anybody out there have tips or hints to successful FAOL searching?

I would suggest two things.

First: There are two searches. One for the site and one for the BB. They do not overlap. If you are searching for something posted to the BB the keyword search will not return it. For those items use the search in the top right of the BB area.

Second: When you use the keyword search to search for things NOT on the BB, each 'page' of results is only 5 or so items. (Way to few in my opinion.) so you may have to page a bit to find the exact item you are looking for.

Okay, one last tip, but it is not really FAOL specific. If you still have trouble finding it, use the google advanced search instead. Put in your search terms and then below that limit the search to flyanglersonline.com. Then all of the results google returns are from this site. (still not the BB though) With that you also can define how many results per page you desire to see.

Hope this helps!

Don
    Don Rolfson

Thanks that definitely did help some. I didn't realize that there were 2 separate searches. One for the BB and the other for the rest of the site. That definitely explains why I never found the posts that I was looking for.

+ Reply to Thread