+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2wt rod...how practical?

Default 2wt rod...how practical?

I've got the bug to build a new rod, and I'm considering a 6'6" 2wt since I have nothing less than a 4wt now, but I'm wondering just how practical it would be. I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of a light weight rod, beyond how useful it would be in small mountain streams. Any input for me to consider?
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2wt rod...how practical?

Lots of threads on light rods in the archives, with lots of arguments, heated discussion, etc. Personally, I enjoy using light rods in many situations. Including catching big fish. The shortness is not my preference, though. I had a 6'6" 2 for a couple years, and had a ball with it. But man you had to whip it to get line speed up.

DG

Some folks love um. I can leave um. While I own 1 and 2 wt rods they are a poor choice if wind is a problem or if you choose to throw a bit of weight or make a long (40+') cast.
    Other wise catching fish with one begs the question "who has who?"

I guess it depends on what you use it for. I have a 2 wt. that I use for blue gill and I love it!

I love my Winston LT Two Weight. I use it for dry fly fishing small flys on small free stone and spring creek trout streams. It puts a dry fly on the water with more finesse than the heavier rods and is much more forgiving on very light tippets usually required by such waters.

Get one! Your going love it if you fish these smaller waters.

Max
    Max

Go for it!!

I have a 6' 3wt. that's just "WAYYY" too heavy. I love the little rod, but wish it was a little lighter. However, it is an absolute blast to cast and fish that little stick.

Ya' either love little sticks or ya' don't... & there's only one way to find out.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

VERY! And twice the fun.

I had a LM grab a panfish fly 2 seasons ago and when I realeased her she was 6 1/2 lbs....on a 1wt Sage SPL!! Wasn't intentional but it turned into the best fight of my life...to include a few muskies on heavier gear.

You'll have a blast! 1-3wts are wonderful panfish tools.

Jeremy.

I like mine, and for some kinds of fishing, nothing could be more practical. I have a 6'6 2wt that is just great for some of the summer fishing I do around here - it gets a lot of use. It's really a matter of personal preference.

I have a 3wt 7'6" superfine by orvis. I beleive it weighs in at .5 OZ. I throw it all day and love the sucker. I have used it on many streams and and rivers from the Delaware, Beverkill, Battenkill, Farmington, and tons of no names, to ponds and lakes and never had a problem casting to get to fish. It is very soft but still has enough to punch out a roll cast when I need it. Sans wind I can reach a little more than 50' out with a long leader and a double taper. With wind I either wade closer or wait to cast inbetween gusts. I can honestly say I have never wished it was heavier, faster, or longer while fishing. I don't know if I would like something lighter, but I have never tried either. This is one of 2 rods I still have in my possetion and the other is a 9 wt for salmon, steelhead, and saltwater. I'd like a few others to fill in the gap, but again have never actually needed them. It is only a want. So an extra rod in a 2 wt. You may just build yourself a new love. Goodluck with it.

Dave;
    I have a Forecast 4 pc 6.5' 2 wt that is a hoot to fish! Caught 8 trout, 2 Blue Gills and a Black Perch on the Duck River last Sunday. The wind was a little stiff and it was sort of like taking marshmellows to a rock throwing contest but the furled leader helped turn over the large nymphs we were using.
    It is a kit from H&H which can be ready to fish in a couple of days
    Just do it!! You'll have fun!!

+ Reply to Thread