+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Jigs

Default Mini Jigs

Been playing with mini jigs ( 1/124 thru 1/80 ounce) lately to target pan fish. I was wondering if anyone else makes and uses mini jigs? What patterns are used for success in catching fish. I use chenille bodies with crystal flash overlay's and sometimes I use small doll eyes on the jigs.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mini Jigs

hobo,
    I tie and fish small jigs for panfish and sometimes for trout. I have used chennille, sparkle braid, dubbing, punch yarn, and thread for the bodies. I sometimes add rubber legs "Madame X" style behind the lead head when I am tying them for panfish. They are simple to tie and can be very effective.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I use them for bass also. Try adding a small spinner bait arm and cast it with a 6 to 9 wt for some great largemouth action.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Tie on a little marabou; black and yellow mixture, red and white, chartruese and white.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

They are the best bream/redear bait fly out there in my opinion. They 4 rubber chartruese legs on the bottom and use black or olive pearl chenille then tie in one rubber leg on each side beside the jig head. Fish them anywhere from 2 feet to 8 feet depending on where the bream are at. I also caught 12 channel catfish on them this weekend. You can't beat em.

Check out Michael Verduin's Cap Spiders:

http://www.laflyfish.com/flies/cap-spider.php

We've been using them for years down here.

Bowfin47
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Great stuff those micro jigs,

Let you imagination go wild!

I tie many nymph imitations; hairs ear, red fox squirrel, stonefly,caddis, even small minnow imatations.

They are a go-to fly for me, especially in the smaller sizes.

Take care,
    chris

Great flies! Tie the tail from rabbit fur or marabou, length of shank or longer. Add a little Flashabou. Krystal flash is OK, but tends to limit the action of the marabou or fur. Dub the body; any color you can imagine. Add rubber legs right behind the jig head. You can use the length of the legs to fine tune the sink rate; longer legs sink slower.
    Good fishing,
    Arnie

Well from the replies it looks as if I'm not the only one who has done well using mini jigs. I used to use a all black mini jig and a chartreuse and green mini jig for Trout and I would knock them dead. A black mini worked great for Carp. Great in the 1/100 size for Pan fish and 1/32 size for Crappie. I use flank feathers which are colored to my choice on these jigs. If your not using these your missing many fishing opportunities.
    Hobo

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

They are all decendants of the ubiquitous Flee-Fly from the '60s. I tie and use them regularly. They are still deadly on finicky crappie, panfish and carp. My best colors are chartruese, yellow and white.

Try rigging them on a double-rig with a chartruese under a white one about 12" apart, sort of like a speck-rig. I call it my 'fish-finder'.

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread