+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to identify flies

Default how to identify flies

Hi all,

So I've inherited my grandfather's old fly fishing flies and rod. I'm fairly new to the sport so I'm beyond bafflement when it comes to identifying flies. I've got probably 2 dozen or so flies and a number of what appears to be streamers all in great condition.

My problem is, how can I identify which fly is which. They range in colors from reds, greens, browns, black, etc. Is there some type of general look for certain flies. How can I identify what is a wet fly and what is a dry fly... etc. I've searched the internet and I can't seem to hit the right site. Could someone lead me in the right direction PLEASE and thank you

~Craig

Tater Salad,

Was in about the same boat as you are and ended up with a box of flies that my dad had stashed away.

When I decided to get into fly fishing seriously a few short years ago I took them to my local fly shop owner and asked for his help. He and his wife were most gracious with their information.

Hey Tater Salad,

If I was you, I'd put Grandads flies in
    a box by themselves and save them. New flies are not that pricey, but Grandads flies are priceless. Warm regards, Jim

I think you might have the right idea... they are priceless. But I am using his old Custom Heddon rod. Since I'm a college student on a budget, I figured I'd just got used to the sport on that rod than move to something better but by the feel of that rod, wow... Personally, it feels like a million bucks in my hand. And knowing that my grandfather used it makes it all the better...

The reel was updated w/ an inexpensive Cortland but I don't care just as long as it gets the job done...

~Craig

PS. Any basic flies that are must for every fisher? I know there are different flies for each day of the year almost

There are many good books with pictures of flies. Go to a Barnes and Noble Book store or equivalent and look at their pictures. Dry flies usually have hackle (thin light feathers) wrapped around the collar spread out. They are what the fly uses to make contact with the water to keep it from sinking. Wet flies or nymphs have very ittle of that. Streamers are usually larger and are sleek so they don't float.

Good test. Fill a sink with water and throw the flies in. Those that sink are wet flies and those that float are dry. Look at those that sink vs. those that float and you can see how they sit on the water or the characteristics of those that sink. This will be a good starting point.

Make sure you keep some of the prettiest flies so that in years to come as you become an expert you will be able to give your grandchildren a few special flies from your grandfather. It will be a special gift. In fact, I'd buy some at an inexpensive store [url=http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com:5df8b]www.hillsdiscountflies.com[/url:5df8b] come to mind and set those flies aside. You might suffer the cost now, but will probably be very happy you did this in 20 years.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

jed

Please save your granddad's flies as I am sure you will be glad you did later on.

This link has the parts of a fly for dry, wet, nymph, and streamer but the links for each have not worked lately. Maybe just by looking at the small pictures of the fly types will help.
    [url=http://shorterlink.com/?UUNRJF:d884b]http://shorterlink.com/?UUNRJF[/url:d884b]

A book reference may be a better source for fly parts and/or fly diagrams by fly type. The Fly Tying Terms under Fly Tying in the left menu on the main page here might help but I was only able to find two (could not find a term for dry fly or wet fly):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Nymph:
    The metamorphic stage of Mayflies between larva and adult. Characteristic of nymphs are wing pads present. Also stage of many other insects of aquatic origin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Streamer Fly:
    A fly with hackle wings, representing a baitfish.
    See also - Bucktail Streamer and Bucktail Fly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best of luck.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 16 June 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Craig, first welcome! Hope it doesn't feel like piling on but - save those flies.

Like others have said, get some fishing flies, but save those. Someday when you pass them down, your son or daughter will be glad you did.

Cherish the old rod. Old doesn't make it less desirable. In fact, some anglers deliberately seek out older gear to connect with the roots of the sport. Heddon is a stellar name in fly fishing history. If you do buy a "modern" rod, save the Heddon too!

Jim

Jim

Actually the information is here on the Fly Fishing 101 section: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/:e62c2]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/[/url:e62c2]

You will find several articles on first the insects and what is used to imitate them, and then, the 10 best dry, wet, nymph and streamers.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Thanks, Deanna. I had forgotten about that section . Good for me to know about it too .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Craig,
    First, welcome to the family. Real glad to have you!
    I don't care about price, quality, etc, etc...you will NEVER upgrade that rod...that's family history & nothing can top that. No matter how many rods you attain during your lifetime, make it a goal to hand that one down to YOUR grandchildren.
    I also agree with saving "Grandpa's flies". Those would end up framed.
    BTW, many good people here from Pa.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread