+ Reply to Thread

Thread: casting dvd

Default casting dvd

Before I ask, I know that the best way to improve my casting is to take some lessons, but until I can do that can anyone recommend a good DVD? I can get as much line as I need around here up in the air, and I can put that line out in a straight line roughly where I want it most of the time. I can't, however, make a forty foot cast with twenty feet of line (shooting the other twenty feet). If I want to cast forty feet I have to have 35-40 feet in the air false casting. And even then it sometimes falls in a "pile" on the water in the general direction I want it to go, but fifteen feet short of the target. So, basically, I'm about ten trips beyond rank beginner, at best. (not literally, but I've never improved and whatever little casting I can do I've learned through trial-and-error) I spend as much time practicing my casts on the water as I do fishing, which is not a very efficient way to fish (esp. when the only trout water in the state is 70 miles away one way).

thanks,
    c

Default Re: casting dvd

You asked for a DVD and there are a lot of good ones...I suppose most folks would say Joan Wulff's.

But until you get one consider this....

Fly lines are rated re: their first 30' for a particular rod weight....

If you are aerializing only 20' you are not loading the rod optimally and of course it will be harder to shoot line.

see, that's why I like this board. instead of just recommending what I asked for, you gave me more information that, now that you say it, makes sense. I never put the "shape" of the line being at the front to mean that I needed to put the full taper in the air in order to shoot, but when you say that and I think about it, it makes perfect sense. if the first thirty feet are the heaviest per foot, then I guess I do need to get all of that in the air. it isn't often that I really need to cast more than thirty feet, but the fact that I can't leads me to think that there are lots of things wrong with my casting, hence the dvd. thanks for both the suggestion AND the extra info!

-c

It should be easy tar heel...think of this....you just pick up the 30' ...load the rod on back cast....and lay the line down presenting the fly....no false cast neceassary...very little effort

And your welcome

read 'How to cast' by castwell.

Check out Fly Fishing 101 on the main board. As for a dvd suggestions, Mel Krieger's Essence of Flycasting an Essence of Flycasting II videos. There is nothing better as you suggested as live lessons. Do you have a local casting/angling pond in your area? Many have free lessons given regularly. Often local ff clubs and shops give free lessons as well.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Then there are Paul Arden's efforts at Sexyloops. Check out, [url=http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml:af19c]Sexyloops Flycasting[/url:af19c].

+ Reply to Thread