+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question

Default Question

I have been thinking about building my own rod, but i am not exactually sure it is worth it. I am thinking about building a 3 weight, and it would most likley cost less than 100 dollars.

So, what are the ups and downs of flyrod building, and what is a good complete set to make a good quality fly rod for under 100 dollars?

JZ

Default Re: Question

JZ,

The up side of fly rod building is that you can get a really nice erod for very little money and some work.

The down side is you have to be willing to do some research (read the rod building series here on FAOL for starters) and put in some work.

Check out Hook and Hackle, one of FAOL's sponsors for rod building kits. They have a great selectiion in your price range.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thank you so much, right now i am broke(bought waaaaay too much fly tying stuff and a new rod ) So i guess that i will have to put in about 15 more hours in my dad's shop to mabie get a good one.

Thank you,

JZ

JZ,

Here's a 7'6" 3wt Forecast kit with everything included for $83.20 plus shipping (about $5.95 S&H). These are very nice rods and fish well. http://www.mailordercentral.com/hook...number=BB763RA The nice part of this kit is that you have enough epoxy, Flex Coat and tip top glue to do at least 3-4 more rods. I have built three rods with the epoxy, flex coat and tip adhesive from my first kit, and I have enough to do a couple more. The tip adhesive stick will last you for years,

Good luck.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I cannot really think of a downside to it.

Here is my take on it. The savings is minimal. If you count the cost of some specialized equipment for the first rod you may even spend more.

The downside is that your home built rod is probably not going to be built as well as a commercial rod. The windings won't be as exact, the cork may not have its hole as centered as a commercial rod the finish might not be as smooth and so on.

The upside is you have a unique rod that every time you pick it up you can take some pride in its making. You also have had a chance to do something fun. I don't build alot of rods, but when I do its mostly to have a fun winter project, not to save money or with the expectation that I will create something better than I could purchase. I totally recommend building a rod(s), but because its fun.

jed

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Here is my take on it. The savings is minimal. If you count the cost of some specialized equipment for the first rod you may even spend more.

The downside is that your home built rod is probably not going to be built as well as a commercial rod. The windings won't be as exact, the cork may not have its hole as centered as a commercial rod the finish might not be as smooth and so on.

The upside is you have a unique rod that every time you pick it up you can take some pride in its making. You also have had a chance to do something fun. I don't build alot of rods, but when I do its mostly to have a fun winter project, not to save money or with the expectation that I will create something better than I could purchase. I totally recommend building a rod(s), but because its fun.

jed
    Jed,

I have to respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points. First, there's no reason that a "first rod" can't be on a par with commercial rods. If a person takes their time and follows the tutorials, there's no reason they cannot have a very acceptable rod. Perfect? Probably not, but very acceptable. Perfection is not to be expected with a hobby.

Secondly, commercial grips are are rarely off center. As a matter of fact, it's virtually impossible for that to happen since they are turned on lathes. The builder can misalign the hole if they have to open it up to fit the blank, but if you're careful, this should not be a problem.

Specialized equipment is not necessary to build a rod. The Flex Coat video shows how you can build a rod on a picnic table with a cardboard box, metal chair and a coffee cup. You can get the box for free from the grocery store, substitute the metal chair for any chair with an open back, and a glass could be used if you don't drink coffee.

Yes, this is about fun and about learning to make something very personal. There's a strong sense of pride when you catch that first fish on the first rod that you build with your own hands. It's doubly thrilling if its caught with one of your own hand tied flies as well. The upside outweighs the downside by 10-1, IMHO

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,
    Don't misunderstand me, while I don't think that most first (or second) rods are up to professional standards that does not mean that they are not 100% servicable. I think the imperfections are there and rarely noticed by anyone other than the builder. Still I think that most home built rods are not up to professional standards.

Even with that said, I think that building a rod is a good idea, a fun thing and I certainly take pride in all the rods I've built, imperfections and all. I think the reason to build a rod is not for cost or to make something better than someone else, but to have the fun of making your own tool and the pleasure of using it for years.

My first rod is barely servicable. Guides have fallen off, the cork has hardened and the male ferrule has broken. Granted its 35 years old and has taken more than its share of fish. Even with that I cannot bear to part with it.

jed

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Joe,
    Don't misunderstand me, while I don't think that most first (or second) rods are up to professional standards that does not mean that they are not 100% servicable. I think the imperfections are there and rarely noticed by anyone other than the builder. Still I think that most home built rods are not up to professional standards.

Even with that said, I think that building a rod is a good idea, a fun thing and I certainly take pride in all the rods I've built, imperfections and all. I think the reason to build a rod is not for cost or to make something better than someone else, but to have the fun of making your own tool and the pleasure of using it for years.

My first rod is barely servicable. Guides have fallen off, the cork has hardened and the male ferrule has broken. Granted its 35 years old and has taken more than its share of fish. Even with that I cannot bear to part with it.

jed
    While most home built rods probably have some minor imperfections due to the variables of experience, skill, and environment. MOST commercially built rods have imperfections, also. NO rod will ever be perfect. Perfection just isn't out there. You can be close, but nothing is ever perfect. Just my 2 cents.

JZ, Go for it. The first rod I built is not perfect, yet its pretty awesome to me to cast the flies I tied on a rod I built. Be warned though. This will only lead to more rods and you may wind up with those of us who are now hooked on tea sticks. Take your time, check out the archives here and there are plenty of us here who will help you get HOOKED

+ Reply to Thread