+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear intermediate line suggestions

Default Clear intermediate line suggestions

In june I am heading up to upper michigan to camp on some lakes known for quality and quantity smallmouth. Unfortunately, the area does get a lot of fishing pressure and the smallmouth are known to be spooky. I have a clear sink tip line that is 3 years old and ready to be retired. I am looking for a clear intermediate (not sink tip) to replace the memory ladden old line. Any recommendations? I will mainly use the line on a very fast 6 wt with streamers. I am willing to pay the price for primium line if the line is worth it. Any .02 will be appreciated.
    caribe

Default Re: Clear intermediate line suggestions

Look at the Cortland camo,,,and the Rio Aqualux...

Caribe,

I have an older (five years now) Orvis 'Slyline' in clear intermediate that I've had good luck with.

Like any of the clear lines I've seen, it does have some memory issues.

I've just had to learn to take the time to stretch it before I begin casting with it. Takes just a minute or two.

In any event, it's held up quite well and is still in good shape. Caught a lot of fish with it.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Ducksterman and Buddy, thanks for the imput. I'm sure any line will be better than what I have now. I fish lakes alot so I know that what ever line I get I'm going to use it extensively. I've never tried to stretch all my line. I'll try it on my old line and see if it helps.... at least until I can replace it.
    caribe

Caribe ,

I think you'll find that the newer clear lines have less memory problems than the earlier ones....I'm with Buddy though ...stretching is good...

Just avoid anything that has a mono core. There take a set and require streatching more often at least each use. I own 1/2 doz intermediates in various brands and sizes 3-10. I can only say that i would stay away from SA SlimeLines, and Fenwick. I've had good success with cabelas. Orvis, Rio and Cortland 333/444. To be honest, as long as they behave well, I find no real distance/ease of casting advantage with any of them. I buy what I can get on sale/clearence. p.s. You might want to consider bringing that F/I line too. if you grease the tip, it should make for a nice popper throwing line. it would be a shame to be surounded by smallies and not be able to fish a popper !

I like th eOrvis Wonderline. I was on Orvis' website and they have intermediate lines on sale in the tent sale section. I picked up a type II sink Wonderline for $20. They had some int also.

Hello:
    Most of my fly fishing is done in stillwater. I have used all the clear intermediate lines and my favorite is the Cortland clear camo. It is my most used line for stillwater. I have caught hundereds of bass and trout with it over the years.

Lanny

I like the Cortland 555 little tunny in clear/camo. I haven't experienced any memory problems with it in the 2 years I've used it and as long as you clean it often, it shoots slicker than snot. The only possible problem is that it starts with 7wt but since you said you have a very fast 6wt, it should be fine. One note though, I use this line in saltwater and I have no idea if it'll behave differently in fresh but it shouldn't(besides maybe a slightly faster sink rate).

if your willing to pay 60.00 you could get a scientific anglers mastery series stillwater line which sinks at the same rate as the intermediate

+ Reply to Thread