+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idea for Cheap Fly Storage Foam...

Default Idea for Cheap Fly Storage Foam...

Here's a picture of the foam I use to hold my flies, I made an old wooden box into a storage box for new flies.
    This is some kind of ribbed insulation from Home Depot, comes in 50ft rolls for about $5. It's about 6" wide. Works great.

Eureka!!! I have tons of small plasctic boxes, and I have been looking for a suitable foam to use. I had not been able to find anything like this. By the way, our local WallyWorld recently had, on clearance, what they called Bacon Storage boxes. They are shaped, well like a pound of bacon, with a hinged lid. I bought a bunch of them with homemade fly boxes in mind. Thanks for the tip.

That HD insulation (sill sealer) is a really neat idea. Personally, I use cheap foam sheets from the craft store to line my boxes. I put a few dots of hot glue and drop the foam in...works like a champ. Here's a $1 wooden display box (from Michaels) that I made for a Christmas fly swap at out local club, using craft foam. This was using the 3/16" thick material.

Joe

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I have made 5 fly boxes using the craft foam... I will have to post them here, one is walnut, one is cocobola, one is mahogony, one is ebony, and one is zebera wood. The only one i have left is the walnut one, because it is my all time favorite type of wood. I'll post em soon1

JZ

Great idea, went down to Home Depot today and got some, plenty to share with my fishing friend. I will glue some to a board of the same width and put it on the wall near my bench, for the flies I'm tying at present.

cool, glad someone else could use my accidental discovery! Happy Tying!

Jeff

i use fun foam that i found at longs drugs for a $1 a sheet. it comes in lots of colors to

Default Re: Idea for Cheap Fly Storage Foam...

craft foam comes thicker than the stuff we use to tie chernobyls, etc. Some of it is 2-5 mils thick. I found some thick stuff with sticky backing....makes great fly box foam, you can cut slits in it for the larger streamers to hold them down in the box further.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread