+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umpqua Knights

Default Umpqua Knights

Do you think Will Farrel could do this one?

Fly Fishing needs something to counteract the melancholy of movies like The Nick Adams Stories and A River Runs Through It. Deliverance, The Perfect Storm, The Old Man and the Sea, and Moby Dick compound the problem by adding a tragic note to the whole activity of fishing. It is not like we spend all of our time dodging mountain men, hurricanes, sharks, and vengeful Spermicetti.

So what do you think? The Umqua Knights take on the staff of Lefty's Fly Camp in a fly fishing Decathlon that spans the globe... Please submit some appropriate events.
    Bear742

Default Re: Umqua Knights

I think a simple movie about a fellow that gets obsessed about fly fishing.

He loses is high paying job, whining tropy wife, oversized house in the burbs, and his anal workaholic circle of friends.

Moves to a small cabin near a trout stream. Makes his living guiding and tying flies. Fishes every day the water flows.

Realizes he's actually happy for the first time in his life.

Starts writing books about fly fishing, the occasional magazine article.

Meets a beautiful woman artist who has also left the hectic pace behind for a simpler life. She cares nothing about fishing, but has her own pursuits and doesn't mind that he has his. They fall in love.........BUT, nothing in his life changes other than the (you know)....still happy.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,
    The SECOND line, been there done that!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Me too.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Trout Bum Diaries Volume I and II

'nuff said
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders

He loses is high paying job, whining tropy wife, oversized house in the burbs, and his **** workaholic circle of friends.

Moves to a small cabin near a trout stream. Makes his living guiding and tying flies. Fishes every day the water flows.

Meets a beautiful woman artist who has also left the hectic pace behind for a simpler life. She cares nothing about fishing, but has her own pursuits and doesn't mind that he has his. They fall in love.........BUT, nothing in his life changes other than the (you know)....still happy.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    Boring! Except for the mismatched girl friend, there is nothing there to generate a story. "She cares nothing about fishing, but has her own pursuits and doesn't mind that he has his. They fall in love." There is real trainwreck coming just around the bend for this couple. Car poolers have more to keep them together.
    Bear742

Yeah, so boring that no one knows John Gierach's name. There's no eyeroll emoticon to insert here dangit!!!

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders

He loses is high paying job, whining tropy wife, oversized house in the burbs, and his **** workaholic circle of friends.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    Buddy, Everything was FINE until you inserted the beautiful woman artist.
    They fall in love, he goes fishing and she goes SHOPPING!!!!!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Seems like everyone zeroed in on the story. If you want a real story about two people sharing a lifetime of love and fly fishing - we should get JC and LF to make a book out of their life. It would be spectacular I bet.

But what I think you really wanted was a reality fishing challenge - kinda like a cross country race. One of the stops could be a night time brown trout challenge on the mainstream AuSable. This would be especially good when the racers are practicing for the Grayling to Oscoda canoe race. They could dodge racing canoes all night.

Default Re: Umpqua Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich
    But what I think you really wanted was a reality fishing challenge - kinda like a cross country race. One of the stops could be a night time brown trout challenge on the mainstream AuSable. This would be especially good when the racers are practicing for the Grayling to Oscoda canoe race. They could dodge racing canoes all night.
    Bob,

You got my drift. In my mortal words the movie is about "a fly fishing Decathalon that spans the globe..." The scene on the AuSable is a good "throw away" adventure a la Raiders of the Lost Ark. Umpqua Knights will tell the story of how the Knights were formed and prevented the Empire from turning the Yellowstone basin into an irrigation reservoir. Based on your suggestion there will be a sequel, Montana Castwell and the Temple Fork Formula. In this one, while Monatana battles Nazis bent on stealing the formula for graphite fibers, he meets and is captivated by the beautiful and fly-savvy Ladyfisher.

P.S. I am looking for investors.
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread