+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Barbed Wire Fences

Default Crossing Barbed Wire Fences

Found this nifty tool that comes with a holster and costs $20.00. It allows you to safely cross barbed wire fences. It is being marketed to ranchers and hunters. I think a lot of fly anglers have fences to cross-right? I thought this was a good find..and might save someone's waders!

[url=http://www.tpoststepper.com:0a45e]Fence Stepper[/url:0a45e]

Rich

Crossing barbed wire fences? Who among is hopping fences? Surely we do not advocate trespassing to gain access to fisheries do we?

Besides, I have found that if you just cut the barbed wire you don't have the same problem the next time you need to get "over there." Of course, you may have a problem with a shotgun wielding farmer/rancher!

And remember: "When you try to straddle the fence the only thing you end up with is barbed wire in your butt.: - Paul Harvey...Good Day!

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

'round here, if you hop a fence youre likely trespassing and subject to fines and/or imprisonment. or salt-shot in the hind end...

in my experience, if we are allowed on the other side of the fence, there is already a way there. some have ladders built up and over, some have cattle guards and walk-through gates, and some are simply not meant to be crossed. i save my waders the easy way--if theres a fence there, i dont belong there. i find someplace else to fish.

Not sure this thing is for me...I'd probaly fall on my head...but out here there is a lot of BLM public land with fences that sometimes need to be crossed...or on land you have permission to be on ...just don't break down the fences or wires.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!
    Ducksterman

In many states, Utah, and Montana for example, if you are wading up the stream and fishing and the rancher has strung wire accross teh water to keep the cows in, you can exit the water and go over the fence to continue up stream. Looks like a good tool for just such an occasion to me.

Thanks Rich!

Don
    Don Rolfson

I have to cross fences quite often, both on public land and private property I have permission to be on. But the nice thing about being 6'4" is that I can just go over most fences, instead of through or under them

Looks like a neat tool, but I also cross a lot of fences that still have wooden posts.

I'd like to see this very tool made of a composite material to make it even lighter. Not a bad tool to have when the occasion dictates.
    Rich

Being from Kamloops, fences are common, 'cept that you don't want to go around climbing the darn thinks too often. When you climb up the strands, you'll end up putting slack into the wire. Try not to do that please.

If at all possible, find the gate. Cross there.

If the gate was closed when you got there, close it behind you, ... If the gate was OPEN, ...please leave it open.

If you come to a fence, please consider if you have the right or the permission to cross it.

Remember, ... we want to see more of these:

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:80fed]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:80fed]
    Christopher Chin

well said, fcch.

Christopher-I agree too. The concept behind this post is to become aware of a device that allows you to cross a fence without climbing on the wires whatsoever. However, the post has to be a T-Style fence post.

Just for the record, I do not advocate tresspassing, Poaching Game, nor wrecking anyone's property: or fence lines. I used to build fences on a ranch and know how hard they are to maintain.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 14 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread