+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightweight Reel Question

Default Lightweight Reel Question

I,ve been looking for a lightweight reel for a 3/4 weight rod. A local flyshop has me looking at a Fishmaster S103 reel. It's bar stock alumniun machined very fine, and lighter, in weight, than other popular "brand names". Anyone ever heard of this brand? I've always thought I needed a good brand name to go with a good rod? Ron

Tica has been around awhile. I just read a couple of highly favorable reviews for the Flymaster on another website. I have seen their advertisements in FlyFishAmerica and elsewhere.

Dear rgregorchik,

I am not familiar with that reel but I'm pretty certain that it would be up to the task of working on a 3/4 weight rod. That's not exactly tuna tackle and the reel is little more than a line holder. I'm sure there are plenty of reels available around $ 100.00 or so that will work for you.

You might want to look around for an older Orvis Battenkill in either click pawl version or disc drag. You might find one used, or a 3/4 new disc drag is $ 79.00. Call Flyfisher's Paradise in State College tomorrow at 814-234-4189 and you will be using the reel on Tuesday, that's how fast they ship! I have a disc drag Battenkill that is about 5 years old and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble ever.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Thanks guys! I most likely will go with the flymaster since the flyline is included with the reel. And the custom rod I intend to put it on is very light also. I was just unsure about the name! Ron

+ Reply to Thread