+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metallic Thread

Default Metallic Thread

I'm in the process of building my first rod with a kit I bought from cabela's. It's an 8wt, SLi. I've been taking it slow since I'm trying to learn it as I go. The thread colors that cabela's gives you in the kits are not that appealing so I'm trying to decide on what color I want to make it. Which leads me to my question. Would it be ok to use metallic thread as the only thread to wrap my guides? So far I have experimented with wrapping with the metallic thread that came in the kit and it seems to be somewhat stiff and less easy to work with. Tucking the metallic thread gave me problems that I didn't encounter when using the regular thread. It seemed brittle and frayed on me.

So should I just find a color in regular thread that I like, is there something I can do to make using the metallic thread easier to work with, or do I just need to be more patient with metallic threads?

Blog Entries

Go down to your local craft or sewing store, and get some Sulky metallic thread. It is much easier to use than the Gudebrod. Metallic thread is just fine for wrapping.

Here is an early rod I did with Sulky metallics. Sorry the pics aren't the best. It is a matte Dan Craft with gold ring guides tied on with pine green metallic thread with gold trim.

Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Thanks for the info. The local fishing shops don't seem to have much selection for thread or rod building supplies. Perhaps a crafts store will have more thread to choose from.

I also find GudeBrod metallics hard to work with. The inner thread tends to show on longer wraps so I only use it for trip bands or inlays.

I've never used the Sulky thread but have heard good things about it here and on other forums. Next time I'm near a Sewing shop I'll have to pick some up.

Blog Entries

If you guys are going to get sewing shop thread, watch out for some of the nylons. Many of them have silicone coating that will really play havoc with your finish. Metallics usually don't, though. Sulky regular thread can be problematic as well. I've tried using is on several projects, and it has a tendency to go black, even with multiple coats of CP. I usually stick with Gudebrod for my standard colors and Sulky for metallics.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread