Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELKHORN BAMBOO

I'm really trying to do the math here.

New Thramer rod $1200. Thramer used rod for sale $475. Markdown (loss) $725.

New Elkhorn rod $595, estimated sale, $75. Markdown (loss) $520.

Even evaluated on this single point, I think I see why there would be a market for them.

Jim

Bill T. rods...
    Never fished a Elkhorn...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 15 June 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Your getting Thramers Tapers Twisted!There are more than 1 Tapers.Let's not forget that Rods can double in Cost when the Builder is deceased!Not to jinx AJ!

Thramer HollowBuilt=$1200
    One on Ebay 2 Weeks ago Sold for $611.00
    Seller may have paid less than $1200.But he aleast got Half.

The Taper on Classic Forum is Thramers DX Taper that Cost-I believe $600.00

bassfly. all due respect, the thread is about Elkhorn rods...

------------------
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

The questions and comments that Pete and Rolemodel bring up are good questions that should probably best be answered by Tom Elkhorn himself. Perhaps he could chime in and answer them. But RStouff's comments are really important here, and one other point is key. If someone can only afford a flyshow priced Elkhorn, then they are not in the market for a higher priced rod (at least not yet), so there is no sense in comparing the two. Perhaps the Elkhorn will help introduce people to bamboo, which as many have said are habit-forming. I doubt that this will be the last bamboo rod I buy and my next one very well could be a rod like a Thramer, but for now that was just not in the cards. So much of the argument is sort of moot. Beyond that, I still think the rod looks great and has performed well for me. The rod does have a warranty and replacement tips are available. Other questions should be answered by Elkhorn themselves.

Castwell,

I got this from the Classic Forum and it's on the same Topic!To answer your Question on why I'm againest Chinese rods is because I could Purchase a Elkhorn Rod for $600 but the Rod will have no Value!So I'm losing more than what I Gain.I could more than like get a 2 Tip Bamboo Rod from a good Maker for $650-$700!Not much more than the Elkhorn.

Anyway here's what a Fellow Bamboo Fly Fisher Wrote!It sums it all up!

IMHO, the problems with Chinese rods can be summed up in 3 words: POOR QUALITY CONTROL. And those three words apply to
    selection of cane
    non-cane materials
    consistency of taper
    construction methods
    construction practices
    finishing methods
    finishing practices
    advertising
    In other words, these rods are (perhaps) one step up from the post WWII Japanese rods, but in the same lineage, and their "worthy" successors.

Hey Folks,

So, if no one else is gonna ask, I will.
    Where do I find these $75 Elkhorns. Always
    looking for another gill rod and that's a
    great price.*G* Warm regards, Jim

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/011886.html:72ad7]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/011886.html[/url:72ad7]

Rolemodel, check out the thread I posted...

------------------

JC, same here on the e-bay thing, just thought I'd throw my thread on cane so everyone could see that we been there, got the t-shirt, and yes, AJ has a good rep, so does Elkhorn and Bill T...

Just my pref.BILL T!!!

------------------

Closed Thread