+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Field and Stream Fly Fishing for Bass April 2007

Default Field and Stream Fly Fishing for Bass April 2007

A while back when Outdoor Life fired Homer Circle and changed from traditional outdoor sports to outdoor adventures like rock climbing and mountain biking, I feared that the other outdoor magazines would follow suit. Lately the only one I have kept in touch with is Field & Stream. I am happy to report they get excellent grades on staying true to the tradition of AJ McClane and Ed Zern.

The April Issue has a great article on Fly Fishing for Bass showing the basic bass on a fly tackle and lures out there. Try to get a copy.
    Bear742

You mean Field and Stream says it's OK to catch fish? I stopped reading it many years ago when I got the feeling they were going a little whacko on us.
    Thought for sure they'd be saying catching fish was murderous by now.
    Haven't even picked one up in years.
    Sorry. But that is how I feel.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    You mean Field and Stream says it's OK to catch fish? I stopped reading it many years ago when I got the feeling they were going a little whacko on us.
    Thought for sure they'd be saying catching fish was murderous by now.
    Haven't even picked one up in years.
    Sorry. But that is how I feel.
    I accept your apology. I cannot dispute your feelings. All the same, what you describe does not sound like the magazine I have been reading for the past 2 years. How many years ago was it when you quit? Though some are worse, a lot of things are better than they used to be. Give it another try.
    Bear742

It's been about 8-10 years. I will pick one up and try again. It seems as though many 'outdoor' type magazines were 'taken over' by environmental types and an agenda pushed. I stopped reading a lot of magazines because of this.

LEt me make a note here before I get attacked.

I have nothing against keeping streams clean and keeping the environment clean. I have a lot of problems with bad science and bad studies that are tainted with abuse for the sake of agenda.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

My dad is a big time photargophor for feild and stream, so we get magizines everymonth, and it sometimes has some pretty good stuff in it, but the october issue hardly has any flyfishing stuff in it.

JZ

Default Re: Field and Stream Fly Fishing for Bass April 2007

Just a footnote, I received gift subscriptions to both Outdoor Life and Field & Stream about 2 years ago. I've never seen an article on mountain biking or rock climbing in OL yet. Maybe they changed back. Both magazines are nearly identical in format now, and sadly, they have really become "10 Hottest New Reels" and "Tag Your Late Season Monster" type offerings. There are occasional nuggets in there. I am considering canceling both today, but I love reading Bill Heavey and Pat McManus...
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Or.....you could go here and save the newsstand price....

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/tech ... n_fly.aspx

Lots of good, usable information.....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sentell
    Or.....you could go here and save the newsstand price....

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/tech ... n_fly.aspx

Lots of good, usable information.....

Jim
    It was worth the trip there. Good thing I knew what a Steelhead was. The two articles cover different parcels of the same territory. What I liked about the F&S article is that it described Fly Fishing for bass directly. By that I mean there were no references to "your trout tackle" that will work on bass. The assumption that the new bass fisherman is coming out of a trout fishing background isn't always true these days. The Midcurrent article covers two points well. Since bass are not trout, one has to study the fish and its habits. And, since bass are not trout, one has to use different flies.

And my final thought is that one is really not into full bore bass fishing until one uses a 9 wt.
    Bear742

"Both magazines are nearly identical in format now, and sadly, they have really become "10 Hottest New Reels" and "Tag Your Late Season Monster" type offerings."

Well neither one ever was the Wall Street Journal of Fishing. Tell me which Magazine is if there is one? Part of the mystic of OL and F&S is those brassy news stand teaser lines. Enjoy them for what they are.
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread