+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First fish on my new 2wt and a few hours on the water.

nighthawk Guest

Default First fish on my new 2wt and a few hours on the water.

With all of that is going on with Amy right now she sent me to the lake for a few hours today. Bless her!

I took out the new Cabela's Traditional/Prestige combo that I bought for the first time. A 6'6" Traditional 2wt rod over lined with Prestige Plus DT-3W-F and a sweet little Prestige Plus 3/4w Reel. Here is a picture of my first catch with the combo:

I apologize for the quality of the photo. It was taken with my cell phone. In my haste I left my digital SLR at home.

Caught this one and five more, two of them bull bluegills, on a #16 bead head pheasant tail nymph. Then a big fish, probably a stocked rainbow breeder, broke me off. Well, it was time to go home anyway.

I used Zip Cast that I bought from Jerry Brumfield. Once I got the loading of the light rod down pat I was shooting beautiful 50'+ casts. If you have been thinking about buying some of that Zip Cast from Jerry, do it. Also, first time I used the Castwell Knot. I love that knot! So simple yet so strong!

Amazing what a few hours on the water will do for a soul.

P.S. Forgot to add I was battling a pretty stiff breeze as well.

Curious,,, why overline?

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Curious,,, why overline?
    When I tested the various outfits I looked at I noticed that this rod seemed to have a bit more "backbone" than most others. The fellow in the Hamburg, Pa. Cabela's fly shop said that he noted the same thing. We thought that perhaps Cabela's had over lining in mind when they had these rods made. They told me that this would not void any warranty.

To me, the rod seemed to perform a lot better with the 3wt vs 2wt line. The sales rep and I discussed the type of fishing and species that I would be using this combo on. He recommended that I try the heavier line. They offered to exchange it for the 2wt if I decided I did not like it.

In a nut shell, just something I had heard about and wanted to try. Seems to have worked pretty well for me so far.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Last edited by Bugsy; 04-06-2013 at 02:54 AM.

YA BABY!!!!

That's what it is all about.

Gotta love those light rods

Congrats!

Chris

Nighthawk,

Nice shot! I just purchased a 2 wt also. I purchased a TFO Finesse series 7'3" 4 pc 2wt. I took mine out for a test drive last Saturday at a local Louisiana lake.

Congratulations Eric!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Acadien,, enail a link of this of to Rick at TFO! Really do it! They will love ya for it!

J.C.

I did just that! I sent Tom a copy of the picture a couple of days ago. Tom's reply was... If the gills get any bigger he'd like to sell me a 12 wt. Tom is a great guy and TFO has a great product for a reasonable price.

Oh my goodness! Are we ever needing ice out! Beautiful shot, acadianfly. JGW

+ Reply to Thread