+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Yellowstone Area advice sought

Default Greater Yellowstone Area advice sought

Hey everyone,

I am planning a trip for late July to Yellowsone, but I would like to focus on some more outlying areas of the park or surrounding areas outside of the park, as I've already fished most of the big name roadside water of the park. As of now, my eye was on fishing opportunties near the beartooth hwy, or maybe on the south side of the park in Cascade Corner near the Idaho Border. I am looking for day trips or short overnight trips less than 5 miles in. Does anyone have advice for me? I was also looking into some of the offroad areas in the NE area of the park, like Upper Lamar and it's tribs, or the SW corner also called cascade corner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if its for areas I did not mention in this post. Emails are welcome. (roffy02@uga.edu)

Thanks.
    -David

David,
    You could look here http://www.yellowstoneflyfishing.com/
    Good luck,
    Jon

In the upper Lamar River area, forgetting your fly rod is only HALF as bad as forgeting your BEAR SPRAY. Be prepared for that matter, anywhere in Y'stone. Advice based on first hand experience. And of course, tight lines on your trip.

Mark

I am interested to follow this thread with anyone who has been down in the cascade corner area with general thoughts/experiences........

Quote Originally Posted by K3's
    I am interested to follow this thread with anyone who has been down in the cascade corner area with general thoughts/experiences........
    Me too as I have lived north of there for 14 years now and have never fished the southern part of YNP (or south of it).

My nephew is an outfitter in that area, and packs into the Bechler area in the SE corner of the Park. Here's his website, and if you'll click on the photo gallery section, and then on the Yellowstone/Bechler
    area you can see some pictures of the area. Just ignore the people and horseys, and look at the area behind them. The area is accessed from the Bechler Ranger station east of Ashton, Idaho. You might e-mail him for details. I got too old, before I could go in there myself. I've heard the stories of great fishing, scenery, and mosquitos, for years.
    http://www.dryridge.com/hosts.htm
    Hope this helps.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Depending on the weather, the Bechler area may not be a great option even in late July. The area is quite marshy, and if you're hiking in, you'll want to wait for most of the marshes to dry up. Late July may or may not be OK. Even if the marshes are dried up, be prepared for some killer mosquitoes, beautiful waterfalls and good fishing in a great part of the Park (a few years ago this part of the park could have been said to be relatively unpopulated with folks. its not that way anymore).

Hi David,

There is a program called the Yellowstone volunteer fly fishing program that is a great opportunity. You can spend a day or several days fishing with a biologist doing studies on various waters within the park. I have several friends that have participated and all have really enjoyed the opportunity. If you are interested send me an email and I will give you his name and email address.

Steve

Default Y.Stone...

Might want to check out the fishing around Red Lodge, MT (Stillwater, Rock Creek, the Beartooths). Fish are smaller, but no park type crowds. The fishing around Cody, Wyo aint bad either. Cheers.

This is different than Montana's famous Rock Creek isn't it? I fished the famous one last year and it was great. Seems like areas around Red Lodge would be good, but it's harder to find info on them so far. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread