+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wading Staff

Default Wading Staff

After reading the recent post regarding the validity of having a wading staff, I decided I should go buy one. My local shop carries the Simms brand. I was hoping they had the Folstaff as well, but they don't carry that line. The staff seemed to have a lot of flex in it. I thought they would be more rigid than that. I am concern that it could snap if I placed all my weight (210lbs) on it in a fall. Am I correct in my assumption or are all collapsible wading staff similar to the Simms in that they have flex to them vs being rigid?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

It all depends on what it is made of. Composite or fibreglass will flex more than aluminum. Target sells LLBean or Eddie Bauer or something like that for about $20. They withstood me playing with them one day while I was being brought shopping. I got all my weight (170lb) on one (feet in the air) and it didn't break or collapse. They aren't wading staffs, but hiking or walking sticks, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference. Check them out and see what you think.

My Simm's doesn't flex??
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Seems like you should be able to buy what you really want. If your fly shop decides to make a mistake and align with a fabric company for his wading staffs, as far as you are concerned, why do you feel you should support his choice? The ones we use do not flex.

I use a telescoping staff I bought at Wal-Mart for $10, have never had a problem with it, and I weigh 250.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Seems like you should be able to buy what you really want. If your fly shop decides to make a mistake and align with a fabric company for his wading staffs, as far as you are concerned, why do you feel you should support his choice? The ones we use do not flex.
    JC, you are right and that is why I did not buy the Simms, but before buying the Folstaff from an online source, I want to know if the flex I experienced with the Simms was normal and true of the Folstaff as well. Your response answered my question and now I am going to order the Folstaff online.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

My wading staffs are all supplied by local beavers, and vary widely in length, diameter, flex, and desirability for retention. I keep looking for the perfect one, but I can never bring myself to carry it around all day.

Tyrone, Good! They are not a sponsor. Once they were and back then is when both of us got ours after a lot of studying. Comparing them to all, they are still our favorites. I am sure a lot of others work, even acceptably for many, but, we are very glad we have these. The features seem to be better, at least to us. I wish they were a buck and a half, then everyone would have one. Be a good thing.

I have a Folstaff and I can assure you that they do not flex...they are very rigid

I wish they were a buck and a half, then everyone would have one. Be a good thing.
    Mine did. I fact I got 2 for $1. A pair of aluminum ski poles at a yard sale. Not collapsible though.

+ Reply to Thread