+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Slingshot Cast

If you try the slingshot cast, please pinch down the barb first.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I've seen Joe Humphreys do this cast out to about 60 feet, absolutely amazing.

If you are stabbing yourself with the fly you are doing it wrong, make a small bend in the fly line and hold that (with the rest of the flyline below your hand).

You beat me to it. I was just going to add that if you get a chance to watch Joe Humphreys cast don't miss it. Otherwise look into picking up some of his DVDs.

http://www.ezflyfish.com/joehudvd4.html You can get them individually from a number of places. I just posted this so you could see them all at once.

For the bow and arrow fishing you'll want to watch the Casting the Catch fish DVD and the Dry flys in tight places DVD.

This is only my opinion but I think Joe is the best fly angler I have ever seen. He can put a fly anywhere. He's not the prettiest angler. You won't see the classic Ovis pose or Shadow casting from this guy, but you WILL see someone who could probably drop a fly on a gnat in thick brush...and he saved my rotor cuff.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I use it all the time when I'm fishing tight little brook trout streams. Once you get the hang of it, it is very accurate, and will get your fly to fish you thought couldn't be caught. With a little practice you can actually shoot a bit of line with it. The key is timing and figuring out what angle to hold your rod. I have found that flies with delicate construction don't work well for this method, as the technique just rips them apart quickly. I also found that if you hold the rod below the fly and fly line, and let the fly roll out over the rod, you are less likely to hook your rod, and you have better accuracy. Don't be afraid to put a good bend in your rod, as this is how you will get distance, and not have the whole mess flop into a pile on you.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I once "demonstrated" this cast for my father using a spinning rod and a Rapala Skitter Pop.

The Skitter Pop won...and I had three stitches on my left index finger for my trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mann
    I once "demonstrated" this cast for my father using a spinning rod and a Rapala Skitter Pop.

The Skitter Pop won...and I had three stitches on my left index finger for my trouble!
    Hold onto the lure. That way it's going away from you instead of coming at you.

I have always gripped the hook on the bend. Of course if you're fishing a size 24 that may be difficult. But I've never tried one that small with this cast. I've never hooked myself...
    Leave No Trace

Here's another "sling shot spot".

This pool was about 3 feet wide and 4 feet ABOVE my position when I cast on a "minuscule" wild brook trout stream I fished yesterday. I flipped a nymph bow and arrow style over my head, (pretty scary); to get it to land in the pool and IMMEDIATELY a feisty brookie nailed it!

BTW I totally vindicated my purchase of a 5'0" rod. It was the absolute PERFECT choice for this "crawler creek"; aptly named because in many places I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get THROUGH the rhododendron it was that thick. But having the short rod made maneuvering in these impossibly tight spaces a lot easier than it would have been with my old "shortest rod" a 6'6" stick.

Bamboozle, that is enough to make a grown man cry! I am sooo jealous. Any picks of the fish?
    Leave No Trace

No giant but what I expected in pool that size.

+ Reply to Thread