+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First boo rod (new) arrived today-question?

Default First boo rod (new) arrived today-question?

Got a 7'6" two piece rod with two tips. Tried fitting tips on and they got real tight about half way in so I stopped. Scared to death I might screw up and break one. Is this normal for a new rod? Should I wax the tip before trying it again? Thanks for any advice.

Chicken newbie boo person!

Is this a new rod (by a modern builder)? If so, I'd call up the builder and ask him/her about this. You may also try cleaning out the female ferrule with some alchohol and a Q-tip.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Blog Entries

Where these the tip tops? If so, you don't want to force them on...you may need to go up a size or two.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

Thanks for the tips.

Photojoe4,
    Got the same alcohol on a Q-tip advice from a member at a TU meeting last night. he also said to check inside the ferrule with a light to see if there were any burrs or something inside that was binding the tops from fitting inside.

cholcomb13,
    Not sure what you meant about "go up a size or two; but, I bought the rod online and I don't have any option except to return it.

Default Rod tips now fit all the way into ferrule

SHAZZAM & EUREKA!!!

Cleaned the ferrule with Q-tip and alcohol, as suggested, and both tip sections went in a little further. Got a block of parrafin from my wife's stash and after a couple of insertions and cleaning off the tips and ferrule with alcohol again - IT WORKED!!! Reckon being a brand new rod it was a very tight fit as it hasn't been put together very much. Now if it'll just catch fish...

Thanks Photojoe4

Blog Entries

Ohhh...I misunderstood....I thought you were trying to get the tip top on not putting the pieces together at the ferrules....glad it worked out
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

Please remember the cane rods are joined by putting the sections together straight on - not the off-set and turn into place.

Happy to help

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Ladyfisher,

Thanks for the reminder about not twisting boo. I did see that somewhere in my ramblings around FAOL.

Photojoe4,

Amazing - the rod does catch fish! As I couldn't wait to try it out; so, "baptised" it yesterday with two rainbows in one of the local Catch & Release area streams. Really enjoyed it; but, now I'm probably addicted for life like any good "boomaniac." I knew I'd get good advice and quickly here on the "best" fishing site in the entire planet.

+ Reply to Thread